Honored Contributor

VINTAGE DINING ROOM AFTER CHRISTMAS

As much as I love to see Christmas decorations, I like to see how other people "step back" after the holiday.  For most, it's a matter of stripping down, don't you think?  Perhaps changing the emphasis on certain colors.

This blogger showed her nostalgic dining room after Christmas, with the garlands, bedecked trees and other decorations gone.

dining-room-january-201413.jpg

The colors are soft, and run to creams, white, green and a bit of blue.  And natural, khaki shades like in the table skirt and the perfect touch of the soft burlap bow.

Instead of pine and spruce, she's relying on houseplants, preserved mosses and preserved blooms for green.  Love her containers for that-- the old silver pedestal bowl, and the antique baskets.

dining-room-january-201411.jpg

Even though she's a collector and antique lover, there's a

little more strictness, less "fancy" to her decor for post-Christmas.

My very favorite thing is her use of an old shutter as a table runner!   Isn't that effective?

dining-room-january-201405.jpg

The textures of baskets and woven chargers give interest to the hutch.

dining-room-january-201409.jpg

She did something I like to do, brought out her old clear glass for the rest of winter.  It gives a break from the more riotous colors of December, and echoes the frosty, more crystalline aspects of winter.  Love this vignette with velvety moss balls, and her collection of vintage bird prints.

dining-room-january-201417.jpg

Those bird prints are a year-round delight.

dining-room-january-201418.jpg

When you change over from the holidays, do you simply remove everything?   Do you bring in anything new or different for the rest of winter?

I still have a vintage red plaid blanket draped over the couch, and evergreen branches, and red candles, and my gold pine cones.  Have removed some, not all, of the more obvious Christmas decorations (just felt like it this year) and introduced a few more whites and definitely, more crystal and vintage cut glass.   The process of adding and subtracting has begun... 

Respected Contributor

Re: VINTAGE DINING ROOM AFTER CHRISTMAS

Beautiful room. I don't get in too much of a hurry to bring back all my stuff, preferring to leave everything kind of bare for a bit, or at least until the promise of an end to winter and a beginning of spring comes. I put a good coat of lemon oil on the furniture and just leave it to shine on its own for a little bit. I love the shutter as a table runner, too!

Honored Contributor

I love the white bird.  Very pretty.

Never would I ever use an old shutter as a table runner.

I decorate pretty minimally for Christmas.  It doesn't require me putting anything away in order to add my Christmas items.  Once they are packed away, my house looks like it looks for the other 11 1/2 months.  I don't decorate for any holidays or seasons other than Christmas. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I like all the decor things, but the boring color on the walls ruins it for me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful room.  Upscale shabby chic.  I love it.  

Valued Contributor

@Oznell    Sorry -- liked everything EXCEPT using a shutter as a runner. Dumbest thing I've every seen, even for vintage/farmhouse decor.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I like all the decor things, but the boring color on the walls ruins it for me.

I agree the room is very beige.  Not only the walls but also the decor.  My whole house is painted beige but the furniture and decor brings in lots of color so it is not boring. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take out all of the obvious Santa stuff, Christmas lights, etc. and leave everything else.  I consider it my winter decorations. I leave the one candle in every window, too. 

Valued Contributor

This room seems a little schizophrenic to me!  It feels like Dorothy and Auntie Em 

met Leslie Caron and shared a Paris apartment and mixed their furniture and accessories.  Not a big fan of this room.

Respected Contributor

I love the bird pictures, the hanging basket on the door and the basket tied by a ribbon.

White or light is always my preference for a color palette but somehow this seems a bit drab. It needs a little infusion of color.

I gradually pack away my decorations and take my artificial tree down at the end of January. Winter is such a hard, harsh month, keeping some of the decorations up makes  things a bit brighter.

By the end of March, I have redecorated for Spring, anticipating sunshine and brighter days ahead.