Respected Contributor

Re: Ukranian Easter Eggs

[ Edited ]

My maternal grandparents were from "the" Ukraine/Ukraine.  The only ethnic "thing" my mother passed down to us was Easter egg decorating.  She melted wax in a jar lid on the (electric) stove burner.  She put a straight pin into a pencil eraser and used it as her stylus.  Her designs were intricate.  She made them Holy Thursday evening after we went to bed.  We dyed the eggs Good Friday; then she took a warmed cotton cloth (heated in the oven) and wrapped it around the egg to warm the wax design. This gave the egg a shine.

I did this with our son and now do it with our Grands.

Honored Contributor

I inherited 4 decorated eggs I admired for years that my MIL bought somewhere. Every Easter I display them in the same cut glass Easter basket she did. The eggs must be 40 years old.

Super Contributor

wonderful for you.  I had an aunt that was written up in the Pgh. paper with her artistic Pysanki (?) eggs.  they're works of art.  treasure them

Super Contributor

this is a TRUE art. I'm so glad for you and your family .   keep it going!!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Your post made me remember the beautiful Easter’s of my childhood. : Also made me hungry for all that old country from scratch  meal prepared  by women over weeks of,  prep. Thank you !