Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey shortage for Thanksgiving

I'll be fine if I can't get a turkey.  It won't affect my Thanksgiving.  It might even be nice to flip the script, mix things up.  Chicken, ham, prime rib, a fish fry.  The options are endless.

Trusted Contributor

There was a reported turkey shortage last year as well, which was not the case in my area.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Valued Contributor

Conflicting information everywhere you turn!  Last night on the 5 PM news, our CBS station had a news story about warnings on a Thanksgiving turkey shortage.

Prices could reach $6.99 lb!!!

The new Hannaford flyer for NEXT WEEK is out, and guess what a featured item is?

WHOLE FROZEN TURKEYS $1.69 LB!!!!

I think if there is any kind of market manipulation going on that the turkey folk should be careful.  If people are scared off of turkey for a first time, then a tradition and a habit have been broken.  Many may not go back after a crown roast of pork or a nice beef spoon roast!

Besides....once the cultural cleansing is done, we will have the story of the Pilgrims and the Indians having a Paleo Gluten Free Vegetarian feast after living through the great Hummus and Capers and Talapia famine!

Respected Contributor

I went to Walmart yesterday. They had three freezer cases full of turkeys. Priced between $1.48 to $1.88 a pound. 

Honored Contributor

I went to my local farmer's market where I go shopping weekly for produce, cheese, meat and poultry.  I didn't see any signs about a turkey shortage so I don't know if this will affect them. 

I did however pick up a fresh turkey breast after reading this thread.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turkey doesn't make or break our Thanksgiving.  Plenty of good stuff that goes along with it.  I look forward to it now because my daughter has has taken over the holiday and we live next door.   We enjoy getting together.  

I like turkey and the smell of all things Thanksgiving but we can eat anything for meat that day if not available.  Said same last year and had turkey.  No problem.

Supposed to be butter shortage too.  

I have already picked up some supplies for other things we serve.  Pumpkin for one and our store just had a sale on butter so I am getting prepared early as usual.  

Sometimes  a person has to go with the flow.

Honored Contributor

Our choice would be to have turkey breast on our table with the dressing and gravy, and if I find Honeysuckle White at a reasonable price, we will have it.  

I will not pay an outrageous price just for the sake of having turkey.

Regular Contributor

I'm not sure this isn't some hype. Right now Kroger has turkey breast for 1.99 ib. They haven't gotten in their whole birds yet, but it's not even November yet. Last year several of the places that had previously sold prepared turkey meals said they couldn't get turkeys, but there were many in the big grocery stores. .79 per lb verses the .29 per lb the year before covid but still plenty of turkeys of all sizes. Chill, hopefully turkeys will be not be the toilet paper for 2022. Hopefully that panic buying is a thing of past. 

Honored Contributor

I was in IGA today; the wall freezer had more 20+ lb. large turkeys than usual, several average turkeys and at least 10 Butterball breasts.  Fresh turkey wings and legs were available in the fresh meat section.  

I asked the head meat guy as well as the office manager if they expected to be short on turkey for the holidays.  Both said no, and said their store supply was guaranteed.  

Esteemed Contributor

They said the same thing last year and there was no problem.