Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey shortage for Thanksgiving

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I'm happy for the turkeys.  I hope they escaped the grim reaper....wishful thinking I know.

The turkeys that got killed because of bird flu met the grim reaper earlier and probably harsher than those that would have been around for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Trailrun23    It'll soon be hunting season.  Buy hubby the appropriate weapon and send him to the woods.  We may become hunters and gatherers before this is over.

@Kachina624  I don't know about where you live, but where I am, turkey season is only in the spring!

@vermint    Yep, you're right, ours is April 15 - May 10th.  Guess we'll have to go for deer or elk instead.  Elk is delicious.

@Kachina624  Being the wife of a deer/turkey hunter, I know more about the "seasons" than I ever wanted to, lol! I've had elk a few times, definitely delicious...but we only have deer, so I eat a lot more of that and it's also very good.

Respected Contributor

@MezzieStarr wrote:

@vermintWhere do you live?  Here in Michigan we have a spring and a fall turkey hunting season 🦃

Started September 15th goes thru November 14th.

@MezzieStarr  I'm in South Carolina. Many years ago, we did have a fall season, don't remember why it was discontinued. Turkeys, even when plentiful, are hard to find...even the best hunters often go a season or two without getting one. Adding back the fall season probably would make much difference in the population. 

Respected Contributor

We bought two whole chickens and put them in the freezer...just in case. Turkeys usually go on sale for about 50 cents a pound a week or two before Thanksgiving, so if they ARE available at a reasonable price we'll get one, and cook the chickens another time.

Even with chicken, I'll fix all the usual sides--I always start buying what ingredients I can in October, so it doesn't hit the grocery bill all at once. We'll still have a wonderful meal, and be grateful for our blessings!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I'm happy for the turkeys.  I hope they escaped the grim reaper....wishful thinking I know.

@phoenixbrd  Milliions of turkeys have been euthanized because of avian flu. Thus the shortage. 

Honored Contributor

I have Stouffers turkey entrees in the freezer and have already warned my family that may well be Thanksgiving dinner if turkey is hard to find, or ridiculously priced.

Months ago I wanted turkey and gravy, and the only thing I found locally was frozen Stouffers and Hungry Man entrees, and a Hormel refrigerated entree.  

Right now my IGA store has 2, 20lb Jennie O turkeys priced over $50 each, and about 4, 10-12lb Butterball turkeys over $35 each.  I absolutely will not pay that price for turkey, ever.  I'm the turkey lover here, my family wants the dressing and gravy, so we will adapt.

Honored Contributor

@vermint 😢

@vermint wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd  Milliions of turkeys have been euthanized because of avian flu. Thus the shortage. 

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@vermint 😢

@vermint wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd  I know, it's sad...probably more turkeys have been euthanized this year than would have ended up on Thanksgiving/Christmas tables!

Respected Contributor

If I can't find a small turkey ( under 10 lbs. ) I'll purchase Rock Cornish hens. No problem for us.I'll then make all the other sides and the usual pecan pie.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I always wonder why shortages occur when something is needed or bought for special occasions?  IMO its because the product is going to have a sharp rise in sales so they can justify price gouging.

I agree with you. There's no chocolate candy shortage where I live either (that was talked about months ago), every store that sells it is overflowing with stock and they have been since they put it out in August or September. It's on sale already to get rid of some of the overflow too.

It's all a bunch of games to try to manipulate consumers.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"