Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trick or Treaters.....Door or Driveway?

I stopped giving out candy 7 years ago. We only got a few kids anyway because there were so many other places for kids to go that are more fun and party like  so I just stopped. The lights in my neighborhood are usually off by 8. But when I did give it out I would sit outside my front door. 

Valued Contributor

Have not done this in 4 years due to Covid and cold Halloweens. But, I would dress up in my witch outfit and sit out on the driveway. First started doing it as our Dottie Dog would get out of the door. and a few kids in their hurry to get to the door tripped over the outside lights. Then it became fun for me to dress up and stay outside on the driveway.. Some nights it was down right cold but I would hang in there until the 300 pieces of candy were gone. Now, I cannot take the cold but the rest of the neighbors have started sitting out now. Firepits on the driveway and sittng in lawn chairs to hand out candy. Just time for me to step back and let the younger folks have the fun of sitting out.

Valued Contributor

I am going to copy the lantern picture. So cute.

Honored Contributor

I like the outdoor idea, with the fire pit. 

Ive only lived in my home for one Halloween, and that was last year when no one was trick or treating.  I'll have a small amount of candy just in case, but they'll have to come to the door to get it.  My neighbors who were here the previous year, said they got only one trick or treater.   

Esteemed Contributor

Last year Khloe and I sat outside the garage and handed out candy. If weather permits Zoe will join us this year.

1F25DA2F-43A8-40BD-89B3-EA590C0015D3.jpeg

Super Contributor

@DizcoDuck  and @Regal Bee  I have the same problem with my dog! I have to confine him to the kitchen on Halloween night, because otherwise he'd be at the window barking at every person walking by on the sidewalk... which is hundreds over the course of the evening! 

Honored Contributor

Plan to open door...say how cute they are...toss candy in bag...seems fairly safe to me.

Trusted Contributor

We left candy out and we also handed some out at the door last year.  Everything ended up being fine.

We'll do the same this year. 

Respected Contributor

Pre Covid I had them come to the door.....if it was a nice night, I may be sitting on the stoop.  Last year my next door neighbors and I sat in their driveway.  We were 6 feet apart and had a fire going. The goodies were placed on a table so the kiddies could take them and not get too close to us.  We haven't discussed it yet, but I hope we are doing the same thing this year.  It all depends on the weather, I'm not sitting outside in the rain or snow.

Honored Contributor

I live on a cul-de-sac with about 8 houses.  Five-six of us on the circle set up a table in the middle of the street (there is room for cars if necessary) with chairs, lanterns, drinks & candy.  We call the kids over to get candy and have our own little party.  It can get pretty entertaining at times.

We've been doing it for almost 28 years.  It just felt easier than answering the door constantly in the early years when we would have a few hundred kids come through.  Today it's a much smaller crowd of trick or treaters.  We did it last year too and there were maybe 25-30 kids.