Frequent Contributor

Re: Trees ~ Prelit or Do it Yourself?

@Regal Bee  we have pre-lit trees that become "do it yourself" trees!   Smiley Very Happy Generally, half or more the tree will go out so we just add lights to it.  Just can't bear to donate them when they are still mostly good.   A couple years ago DH put on 1,500 more lights on our 9 foot tree because I kept saying "oh just one more string."  It was wonderful to turn on the tree and the fireplace and just sit in the glow.

Esteemed Contributor

I always do it myself.  We use an old fake tree that was my in-law's tree.  I like it because I start with just the pole.  I wrap red lights around the pole and the very top.  After the branches are on, I use white lights.  It is really pretty.  I would rather do it myself because I can change the color of the lights if I want to.

My sister bought a pre-lit tree and the second year she used it, a section of lights would not come on.  That would drive me crazy.  She just added llights, but I don't think it would ever look right, and you have unlit lights still on the tree.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I Love Prelit trees and the more lights the better.  I also like the option of going from all white or clear to Multi although I prefer multi colored lights.  Sure hoping for a TSV this July.  In fact I am counting on it

Respected Contributor

Looks like the prelit trees are the most popular.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Susan Branch 60.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pre-Lit, but boy they don't seem to last long for the price....3 or 4 yrs has been the max life for mine....BUT love the ease and convenience of them...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I prefer to do the lights myself.

Using far less than on a prelit  tree, I tend to like

a tree to glow with lights, not shine with lights.

I tend to prefer multi with my ornaments though, a warmer look. 🎄

-Texas Hill Country-