Honored Contributor

Re: Traditional Christmas Cards or Family Pic with family “catchup” letters?

I get a note inside a card with a photo from friends that we rarely see. I enjoy the note and photo.

I have never done the photo card or the card, note, photo thing. My life is very ordinary.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate any Christmas card. But I don't like those awful holiday "brag letters". I have not received one of those in many years. Perhaps because we don't have young children.

Respected Contributor

Reasons I don't like the photo postcards:

- they don't stand up on a table/shelf for display

- displaying them is highlighting someone else's family which is weird

- they don't feel very Christmassy and could be sent any time of year

- they feel like a form letter to me

- they feel lazy especially when there's no personalization at all

- they can also be used as a brag (I know someone that prides herself on still being thin and uses those photo cards to prove it to everyone she knows (even people she hasn't seen in years) and she never acknowledges that she just got her dad's genes instead of her mom's)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoudwrote:

Reasons I don't like the photo postcards:

- they don't stand up on a table/shelf for display

- displaying them is highlighting someone else's family which is weird

- they don't feel very Christmassy and could be sent any time of year

- they feel like a form letter to me

- they feel lazy especially when there's no personalization at all

- they can also be used as a brag (I know someone that prides herself on still being thin and uses those photo cards to prove it to everyone she knows (even people she hasn't seen in years) and she never acknowledges that she just got her dad's genes instead of her mom's)

... and I just got one in the mail today - of people I've never met and couldn't name. /shrug/

Respected Contributor

I like traditional cards with a short personal note. I appreciate someone taking the time to do that. I don't like the Shutterfly computer printed photo cards with my name and address printed on. Those are just sent out with zero effort or thought from the sender. We still get one three-page (that's all, if I'm lucky) Christmas letter from an old colleague of mine; It is so obnoxious it is hilarious. We actually enjoy reading it aloud and marvel how much more puffed up she can become or how many more awards she, her kids, and her hubs can get for being even more fabulous than the year before! 🤗 I do like seeing photos of children or grandchildren when they are tucked into a card. I guess it's what old people like myself enjoy seeing I mailed some traditional Christmas cards yesterday, but far fewer than in last years...have cut down each year and now they go only to family and three friends who are shut-ins and really look forward to getting them. 

Honored Contributor

It's sad that good news is bragging.  

Honored Contributor

I enjoy getting the family photo cards.  I've been getting many more of them than the traditional cards but still we don't get very many to begin with.

Trusted Contributor

I love any Christmas card I get! I'm thankful that someone thought about me and wanted to keep in touch. So yes, I am happy with whatever is sent to me! 

Respected Contributor

I have purchased traditional Christmas card with a sentiment I feel really appropriate for the times.  I am in the process of drafting a Christmas letter to tuck inside, trying to keep it to a half a sheet of paper.  Taking in the comments read over the years, I am critiquing  each sentence.  I am striving to add a bit of humor into the letter - ex. struggles with technology and yardwork with a touch of family information.  I am hoping that will bring smiles to our friends' hearts.  Over the past few years many more families are sending the one page picture card, usually with several pictures displayed. My viewpoint on those cards is that the pictures become rather difficult to really see, especially when scrunched to smaller size.  I do like to hear from people, not necessarily details of vacations, etc. - I am working on not judging others.  

Honored Contributor

When it comes to "bragging" I think that like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.  If you are a happy person and want the best for others, you see good news and good news.

If you like to brag and be top dog, you see good news as being one up on you.