Respected Contributor

Re: Traditional Christmas Cards or Family Pic with family “catchup” letters?

It doesn't matter to us.  Just nice to have people remember us.  We do enjoy the photo cards to see how the families have changed.

We send traditional cards, but I mentioned to DH that we should start sending photo cards, so everyone can see how we look.

Respected Contributor

My parents got one every Holiday from friends. Every child was smart, intelligent and had multiple awards for something, had the making of greatness! lol

I hated those letters, they were long and not personal per say. Every kid perfect. 

My brother started doing it after he got married and had kids. Again the perfect family. The wife got into crafting so handmade everything. Do people not read their own letters!  

Honored Contributor

Christmas cards are a big deal to me.  I am very specific to the card designs I choose, and they must have white envelopes.

NO Christmas card ever leaves this house with just a signature; every card contains a note or a personal letter.  I do not do newsletters.  95% of the cards we receive have notes or letters as well.   

We receive 2 picture cards each year.  The cousin who sent the annoying Christmas letter that was literally a month by month replay of their life, is now in her 80's and is barely able to do much more than send a normal card.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I am going to admit that I am just stupid. I'm sure most of you have figured it out already.

I know better than to read this.  I know it every year--and some years actually don't read it.  It makes me wonder why on earth people are so irritated by anyone else's good news.

It makes me want to take down the tree, turn out the lights and spray paint "BAH HUMBUG!" on the garage doors. I think I'll stick to my devotionals until it's all over this year.  I wish I knew more people who did have something to brag about this year.

Esteemed Contributor

we get both ,  no letters though I would consider those Brag letters !   I send special cards to close girlfriends that I pick out myself at the Hallnark store .   The rest of family and friends are from boxed cards ,  very nice cards .   Never picture cards .  In fact I'm behind this year I usually get them out the first week.   Need to get to them out hopefully tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

We send out Christmas cards to families and friends - with a note focusing on them, rather than tales of our travels, tales of our children’s jobs, tales of our expensive purchases, renovations on our house, and our grandchildren’s grades and sports exploits.

The funniest letter we received in a card was a long chronicle of their genetic research.  Guess what?  Lines going back to European royalty?  I wonder how they came up with that one?

It went on and on, til my head was spinning.  

Now or tell me, is something like this “sharing happy news” or just plain bragging?  Whether you believe it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have loved to have seen pics of my brother's family, their kids growing over the years.

Unfortunately they are of The We Don't Bother" tribe.

Honored Contributor

I'm rather surprised that so many here think photo cards are a thoughtless option.  I'll bet you don't know how long it takes to take a decent picture for the card.  Then you have to create the card, also a time consuming process.  I'm sure some people are able to just throw one together, but believe me, mine take me a while to produce.  Mostly they just go to family and friends that we see often so I seldom include a note unless someone is ill and I'm inquiring about them.  

Also, as an FYI, I have never thrown away a picture card that I received.  I save them in a manila envelope labeled with the year.  It's fun to look at the pics from years ago.

Honored Contributor

I have some friends and family who started back in the '90's doing the photo Christmas cards and I really like them.  I got one of my nephew's cards this weekend and with their four children there were more photos of their dogs.  I laughed the "children" are all now young adults so the dogs maybe the more playful in their family now.  I like the other cards but I love the glimpse into my family and friend's lives.  Especially the ones who send several photos as part of the card.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."