Honored Contributor

Re: Today is National Vietnam War Veterans Day

@MaverDaver wrote:

Ah yes. The war whose veterans were "welcomed" home with distaste and bore the burden for many years as if they started the conflict. I know of what I speak cuz DH was one of them.

OH, I will never forget. My brother came home from Vietnam. When he was being discharged and he made sure to get his hair cut. He didn't want anything to be unacceptable from being discharged. He wanted is be discharged quickly and easily.

So he was home a day or so. Mom asked him to go to the grocery because she needed an item for dinner. I tagged along with my brother because it was a novelty to have him around.

We were checking out. A woman ahead of him saw his short hair. She started yelling as loud as she could at my brother. Screaming how he was a killer and he should be ashamed for participating in the war. My brother calmly said "You do not know what I did". Well, that got her even madder. She continued to scream. My brother told me to go out and wait in the car. He said he didn't know what was going to happen.

It was scary to see her reaction to just seeing my brother. My brother was a fireman in Vietnam. He handled fires on the Air Force base and they also handled fires in the civilian Vietnamese homes in the surrounding area.

My brother asked me not to mention it to my Mom. He said he didn't want to upset her. He said besides that was nothing to what happened to him as soon as he landed in the United States.

Honored Contributor

My friend of many years still has reunion's with his buddies from Vietnam that are still around.

Trusted Contributor

@MaverDaver   Yes, DH as well.

Valued Contributor

My brother served 2 tours in Vietnam . Back then we had no contact other than an occasional letter , which was usually weeks + old . He did come home safely,and we thank the lord every day ! It was a shame the way the Vietnam soldiers were treated when they came home . 
   My Brother is the kind of guy that will anomalously will pay for a Veteran and his family's dinner , when in a restaurant . This happens quite often .

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 :  Thank your wonderful family for their service and to you and yours for continued support. We will never forget...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My friend of many years still has reunion's with his buddies from Vietnam that are still around.

My husband and his Vietnam Army buddies get together every year. There are about 12 - 15 that get together. They go to various places every year.

The wives are encouraged to come. The first year I went, the reunion was in Nashville. Saw some great acts at the Grand Old Opry and went to the Country Music Hall of Fame. One guy scouts out the towns before the reunion. He finds good restaurants and things to do.

One year we went to Fort Campbell Army Base. The Commander of the base gave us quite a tour and even fed us. Was an impressive visit.

This year the trip is to do a "Bourbon Tour". 

PS - I am so sorry to hear about the helicopter accident yesterday at Fort Campbell. The reason my husband's Army buddies wanted to tour Fort Campbell was the fact that their group was part of the 101st Airborne. And the 101st Airbourne is based at Fort Campbell.

Respected Contributor

@MaverDaver wrote:

Ah yes. The war whose veterans were "welcomed" home with distaste and bore the burden for many years as if they started the conflict. I know of what I speak cuz DH was one of them.

My husband too.

Frequent Contributor

DH is a vet--- I thank him for his service and glad he is still whole physically and mentally. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your replies.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man