Honored Contributor

Time for Autumn...

[ Edited ]

Today our 1st Fall migrating Ruby-throated hummingbird (a juvie male) arrived in our gardens around noon and the switch in my brain has turned to Fall.

Although I don't plan to put out Fall decor til around the 2nd week of August, I just switched out the candle in the livingroom from YC's Meadow Showers to YC's Fall Festival and it's burning now.

I am also having my 1st pumpkin spice coffee since the holiday season...yum! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm in absolutely no rush to lose summer.  It only just started mid-June.  I hope it lasts for awhile.  I'll be ready for fall come mid-late September.

Honored Contributor

Re: Time for Autumn...

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm in absolutely no rush to lose summer.  It only just started mid-June.  I hope it lasts for awhile.  I'll be ready for fall come mid-late September.

@Krimpette  I understand...I loathe winter...the short, dark gloomy days and being cooped up. That doesn't mean I've begun hibernating now. I eek out every last bit of warm weather being outside as long as possible Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I'm in the mood for an early Fall this year, too.

I just purchased a new gorgeous Fall pillow at TJ Maxx and decided to go ahead and put it on my living room sofa.....makes me happy just to look at it. Smiley Happy

Diggiing out some of my Fall candles today. So much fun.

I am NOT a fan of summer. 

@Regal Bee  What brands/scents do you enjoy the most? I would say 75% of candles we have are YC and 25% are Homeworx.

Super Contributor

How far north are you?  I am in KS....my hummers have been so few this year.   

Respected Contributor

I guess I am strange. Even though I love holiday decorating and I live in hot, hot Arizona I love summer and sunshine. Maybe because I prefer summer to winter clothing and I am also a big baseball fan - to me summer is baseball. I did decorate for fall early last year - I think sometime in August - I'm going to wait a little longer this year.

I do have to do some early prep though. In about a week I will be starting some chemotherapy for a breast tumor and I have no idea how sick I will feel. I am going to get down all my boxes and storage containers that require ladder climbing and stack them in my spare room so that I can access them whenever I wish. I have my priorities - holiday decorating is important!

I want to see pics from early decorators so I can copy all the good ideas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunnysMom wrote:

How far north are you?  I am in KS....my hummers have been so few this year.   

@SunnysMom  We are in Lincoln Nebraska and live 60 miles outside of the western edge of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird breeding range. Hence, we don't see them during the summer.

We document/record/keep counts during the Spring & Fall migration periods and started in 2008. During the Spring the earliest migrator was on 5/2/2016 & latest was on 6/12/2009. During the Fall migration period the earliest was today...no joke. The previous earliest Ruby-throated Hummingbird migrator was on 7/30/2015 and the latest was on 10/17/2010.

Side note: our earliest Rufus Hummingbird was on 7/28/2010...tied with our Ruby-throated Hummingbird today!!! Smiley Very Happy

Below is a Spring migration map from 2016. The arrow points to where we are and when I submitted our sighting that year on 5/2. The pink area also gives a rough image of the breeding range of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird too. Around our location, the closest that breed are around the Omaha area near the Iowa border...so about 60 miles away.

SpringMigration2016.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I'm in the mood for an early Fall this year, too.

I just purchased a new gorgeous Fall pillow at TJ Maxx and decided to go ahead and put it on my living room sofa.....makes me happy just to look at it. Smiley Happy

Diggiing out some of my Fall candles today. So much fun.

I am NOT a fan of summer. 

I have never been a fan of summer....not even as a kid.  I am counting the days til Fall arrives.  Love the cool sweatshirt weather.  I live near a high school and when the band starts practicing for upcoming football season...I am in heaven.   Hoping for an early fall. 

Honored Contributor

It's 112° right now...........and we really don't have "autumn" in Phoenix.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥