Frequent Contributor

Re: This isn't going to be popular, but I'm putting it out there

I did watch quite a bit of the programming and I too wasn't excited by much that offered.  I did order the Slatkin candles, the VPH diamond ice trees and the VPH ribbon reindeer in ivory.  I then had buyers remorse so I cancelled the candles and the trees but I was too late to cancel the reindeer.  But I think I will be able to incorporate those into my decorating.  I like the ice trees but they are really not how I decorate although I think I could have used them somewhere.  I too am not fond of everything being illuminated.  I also wanted to be able shop at places like Home Goods, Hobby Lobby, etc and not feel like I have overbought.  I will keep watching the programs throughout the season.  I do like to watch Valeries shows to get decorating ideas.  That is something I like about this board.  I get lots of great ideas from everyone here.  

I hope those who did purchase like what they got.

Honored Contributor

I agree on too many lit items. Not everything needs a battery.

I may be the oddball out on this thread, but I don’t like Lisa Robertsons decorating style. I like traditional but I don’t like what you would probably consider formal/elegant. To me there’s nothing welcoming about formal decor. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and afraid I’m going to break something or spill something. Ironic I know considering I only do all glass ornaments on my Christmas tree. LOL. I do like tartans and plaids and lots of red and green for Christmas. I don’t care for something that has all silver or gold or ivory. As for whimsy, I have some gingerbread pieces and I like to put a small collection of stuffed animals and rocking horses under the tree. In my dreams if I win the lottery, I would have a lodge style home and the Christmas decorations would be a combination of primitive and lodge style with a lot of nature elements.
Honored Contributor

When VPH came to Q (20+ years ago) her things were unusual & not available in traditional stores.  Now, with Hobby Lobby, online retailers, Old Time Pottery, Michaels, etc. I can usually find something comparable.  

Of course, over the years I've bought many "timer" holiday/seasonal pieces that are still perfect and can't find in b&m stores.  

Nothing this weekend appealed to me.   I bought a lot of things last year & "as is" thru the year.  

I think I have hit the stage of life where "less is more".  I will put a few things out for Fall/Christmas but not like I've decorated in years past.

(Today, I boxed up my few 4th of July decor I had out -- the rest went in a box for community yard sale).  In fact, I just sold on NextDoor most of my holiday tableware I haven't  used  it in years!

Super Contributor

@rygimom wrote:

I did watch quite a bit of the programming and I too wasn't excited by much that offered.  I did order the Slatkin candles, the VPH diamond ice trees and the VPH ribbon reindeer in ivory.  I then had buyers remorse so I cancelled the candles and the trees but I was too late to cancel the reindeer.  But I think I will be able to incorporate those into my decorating.  I like the ice trees but they are really not how I decorate although I think I could have used them somewhere.  I too am not fond of everything being illuminated.  I also wanted to be able shop at places like Home Goods, Hobby Lobby, etc and not feel like I have overbought.  I will keep watching the programs throughout the season.  I do like to watch Valeries shows to get decorating ideas.  That is something I like about this board.  I get lots of great ideas from everyone here.  

I hope those who did purchase like what they got.

This is exactly how I feel.... In the past I would buy, buy, buy from QVC and found I like other things better from these stores plus cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe-

Your whole description is exactly how I like it tooSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Well I am really going to go out on a limb and confess I’m not all that impressed with Valerie’s sets. They have all looked the same the past 5 years. Sometimes the mantles are so crowded nothing draws the eye—it’s just a dense mass of greens, fake flowers, and twinkling things. I think it gets heavy handed to where nothing stands out. I say this in the nicest way possible as I think Valerie is a sincere, lovely person.

I also agree that the open floor plans so many of us have make it difficult to carry off the elegant decor when the kitchen sink and toaster are in full view of the living and dining spaces. And young people do pull out the paper plates. They are not as likely to spend $175 on 8 sets of champagne berry picks to fill in the bare spots on their white and crystal tree!

There are plenty of places that sell Christmas decor, so we have lots of choices. My mom had the local five and dime and was lucky to find some wax Santas and a box of lead tinsel. So it’s all good. Overall the time I did watch was still better than a dang pillow story or vacuum.

Contributor

After looking at my CIJ purchases, I have to agree about Valerie's offerings this year. The only items I purchased this weekend were Landies pretezels and Jill's pedestals in the deer and santa options. In years past, I made multiple Valerie purchases during CIJ. So far this year, only the JOY sign which was offered last year as well which I purchased during the free shipping day. None of her new things appeal to me. I am not into all the mercury glass and things lighting up either. Everything is starting to look the same.  

Valued Contributor

Having a pretty nice collection of holiday decorative items now, I'm more selective in my purchases and less impulsive.  I only purchased two items from Valerie over the weekend

CIJ programs.  The set of three white poinsettias were in my cart the moment they were previewed.  I got a set last year and was very impressed with the quality that I tried for a second set but they sold out very quickly. 

There was something called a Metal Wreath Chandelier Holder, H215335, that Valerie only pointed to with a short description of it during her show with Jill.  I was hoping it would be presented with examples of how it can be used, but it never was.

I bought it anyway and will play with it for Autumn decorating.  I liked the idea of the three holders for flameless candles.   Valerie's over sized black sleigh is very tempting as well.  The white poinsettias looked stunning sitting within it.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Super Contributor

I always purchased Valerie's decorated "live" wreaths. 

Now I purchase a  wreath locally and add the decorations I saved from Valerie's wreaths.

I've reached the age where I am not into all the glitz and glitter.

Honored Contributor

I like Valerie So much but I have to totally agree with you!!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller