Honored Contributor

Think I'll still hold out for an old fashioned lantern.

I think what I'd like to do with it, is change the inside of it seasonally. I'd love to do an Easter one, then continue on.  Love old lanterns.  So far, Hobby Lobby has the best chances for me to find one I'd like.  Have to double check Michaels.

Anyone do this already?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Think I'll still hold out for an old fashioned lantern.

I found one a few years back at an antique store. It is weathering beautifully on my porch. I also change it with the seasons. I have ornaments and battery string lights and a battery candle in it. All on timer. Have fun finding your lantern. 

Respected Contributor

I had one that I got from QVC that had a remote.  I did use it seasonaly, changing out the decor inside.  But I got tired of it and sold it in our garage sale.  I saw some at Pottery Barn.  They were beautiful but very expensive.  I don't know what your local Michael's has been like, but for mine for a long time now, they look like they're going out of business.  I went a couple of days ago to pick up something.  So little merchandise.  Very few customers.  And this wasn't the firsr time.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal Check antique stores and flea markets. You may just find the real ones. Put a battery operated candle inside if you prefer to use a remote control. Then decorate away, but leave the original patina. Don't paint it. Decorated, it will be authentic and more meaningful than the made in China ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago ,  I to loved to look  & buy various laterns .  When I last moved , I changed my style of decorating , so  I really had to edit myself in decorating with laterns. I love them in the front of my home and around my patio  , esp the solar ones .

I see so many that are really cute , but I just don't buy anymore . I have bought some  outdoor solar  ones for my family as gifts from QVC  . They always love them .