Esteemed Contributor

Re: The house looks so drab now

[ Edited ]

I have some Winter decorations that don' t say "Christmas."      

I still enjoy my snow globes, plants and candles in the house!

Contributor

I am putting everything away today except my snowmen and I have a few that are in my corner door shelf unit and around the front entry.  They stay until Mar. 1 when I decorate for spring.

I also have a few valentines day decorations that I put up in late Jan to give everything a new, fun vibe.  To keep things from being too drab I keep my mantle on my huge rock fireplace decorated with Valerie's mercury glass spheres and candle holders with luminera candles.  

Honored Contributor

I took my stuff down yesterday too--didn't have much as I am in a small apartment now so just decorated the fireplace mantle--but it is nice to be back to the normal stuff---I get tired of the holidays and am always glad when they are over.

Valued Contributor

After 3 years of being in a partial completed state of construction in 3 main rooms of my home (1 room/kitchen finished literally right before the world shut down for months) & than waiting till things opened back up & contractors, etc. were available....FINALLY completed the last bit of work in October 2021!

So I went a bit overboard Christmas decorating (which I wasn't really able to do for years) & now I'm finally able to enjoy & use finished rooms!

You don't know how much you take for granted living spaces till you live without it for so long! So I'm happy as a clam in ANY state my rooms are!

More specifically to answer OP, I decorate for all Holidays, so Snowman are out now along w the decorated Christmas tree still & next will be Valentine's Day I'll put out end of January & than St. Patrick's, etc. Just a few small somethings for the "lesser celebrated" Holidays cheers me up & freshens up my decor almost monthly.
Honored Contributor

We took down our Christmas Decor on Jan 3rd...I did leave up my Red Berry Wreath and swags, because they are just red berries and snow branches which to me can be wintery as well as Christmasy......

It always leave me with a little empty feeling when everything comes down, but we usually put everything up Thanksgiving weekend, so a nice long time to enjoy!!!

Sugar Cookies sound really good!

Honored Contributor

it always looks sad when all the decorations are put away and tree is down. i will take ours down tomorrow.

i have flameless candles and bright pillows and things around to make it look less sad  and drab.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Try some new candles!  Usually, faux berry florals are very pretty to bring light into a room.

Also, I get out quilt placements from etsy for a color infusion.

Honored Contributor

I feel the same!  DH and I were just talking about that yesterday.  I said -- I love the lights most of all.  Just seeing them all over the neighborhood just transforms it into a magical, beautiful place!  I was going to take down all of my things this week but we had to postpone it, so I will do it next week.  I am dreading it, not only because it is a lot of work, but because the house does look sad, dull and emply!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Pantsonfire2  I totally agree but I do not have to worry, it would never occur to my husband to do that chore, ha!  

Honestly I think it takes me longer to put away than put up...I am very picky about how things are wrapped and stored.

Honored Contributor

Happy Epiphany everyone!  You are now free to un-decorate.  As for myself, I'll go for a few more days.