Esteemed Contributor

Re: The house looks so drab now

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@chrystaltree ... I would be furious if my husband did that !! That's my department and I put a lot of time into it ...  for someone to just get up and decide HE wants things gone is a little out of bounds at my house.

wow.......

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I get it. Trying to think of compromises or solutions... Would it help if you put candles in the windows, either back out or get some? I'm in New England, people tend to keep those out all winter, as do I...helps keep things pretty and cozy. Maybe buy some seasonal flowering blossom or plant? Find a small lit table top tree you can make seasonal? There are so many online, Wayfair etc, that are plain, on a bark trunk, with white lights people put up for a winter display or all year? Just brainstorming how you might add some cheer or warmth back that doesn't have to be your Christmas decor. Decorate with something "seasonal" perhaps? Just some thoughts.

I still have things up, and often just feel it out how long I keep things, depending how dark/dreary winter feels...which is usually pretty dark and dreary! I keep the tree up and lights at least until little Christmas, but often throughout January just to keep the warmth of the lights. Anything real Christmas, nativity, Santas, cards, all come down. I have snowmen still out, and a poinsettia. My tree also has 9 light settings, so I change from the colored lights which are more Christmas to white. I went walking through my town today and was happy to see most people still had their trees, up, lit (it's a cloudy, darkish day) and candles in the windows.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree   After I take Christmas decorations down I put different battery candles out, in dark areas. 
   I have a white birch tree that is in the living room corner. It blends with the wall in daylight but at night comes on with a timer.  I think it's Valerie's. 
   Next month I'll bring out artificial white daffodils in small arrangements that I found years ago at an upscale florist on sale. I always have the candles around. 
   The front door has a lighter colored wreath with shades of green sprinkled with olives. I changed the small Christmas flags to a small snowman and an owl in the snow. 
    There's so much you can do by rearranging items and putting different ones out. Have fun!

🌠 🎇 🎆 🕯🔌💡🔋

Esteemed Contributor

I'll be leaving mine up untill I just can't take it any more.  I've never gotten in Feb yet.  No telling how long I'll go this year.

The items that have batteries are packed away when the batteries die. Plug ins can go on forever however.

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree  This is the perfect time to bring the outdoors in. Adding greenery, sprigs of berries, snowmen and white fairy lights are great to get through the doldrums of winter! Right now you can find these things all on sale. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree - It's always hard to go from the beautiful lights of Christmas to the darkness and cold of winter. 

That being said, I also enjoy getting my house back in order after Christmas is over.  I decorate with a few other wintry things to keep the house fresh looking, but I honestly do enjoy having my living space back.  It's been non-stop "extra" decor from September until now.  Sometimes it's too much.   lol

I now look forward to the beauty of spring and gardening season!

Trusted Contributor

As a rule, whenever I take down my Christmas decorations, I replace it immediately with my Valentine decor.  It sort of helps me look to the 'future'....can't have to much ''love'' in the house, I always say.

Respected Contributor

I understand completely but this year for some reason I was glad to get mine all put away. I used everything I had this year, something I don't usually do. Usually when I put away Christmas, I leave my other things boxed and bring them out very slowly, usually ending in February when our weather starts to show us the promise of springtime. I use lots of my flameless candles this time of year, turning them on around 5 and leaving them on the 8 hour timers so they'll be on when I go to bed. My home is dark so plants don't thrive well here but we have lots of evergreens so I can cut branches and put them around the house. Hope you can find some cheer soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree also took my decorations down a week early this year....but  leave out some snow decorated trees for the season until February.

Honored Contributor

I had decorations up in the kitchen, family room & living room.  All have been taken down except for the tree in the living room.  I'll do it over the next week or so....it looks so pretty and I love how it lights up the room!

DH took all of the lights down outdoors on the front of the house but we decided to leave the string of lights that we added to the back fence up.

It's just a privacy fence that goes along the patio area and adds a lot of light & sparkle to the yard at night.  I think we should just leave it up year round.....love how it looks.

Cookies sound nice but I started my low carb way of eating early in November though I indulged a bit for Thanksgiving & Christmas....I'm back to staying the course.