Honored Contributor

The Perfect Holiday Food--It Has All 3 Holiday Food Groups!

For me, it is ham.  It has salt, fat and sugar and is protein.  I can live on it from Late November through half of January.  Woman Wink  For vegetables, I go have tacos once a week at a local Mexican joint!

Then I make a pot of pinto beans with the hambone that I froze.

What's your go-to perfect holiday food? 

Respected Contributor

Re: The Perfect Holiday Food--It Has All 3 Holiday Food Groups!

[ Edited ]

Peanut butter balls! They also have salt sugar, fat and protein.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  Ham is perfect!  And you know salsa is a vegetable!

Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

@Sooner  Ham is perfect!  And you know salsa is a vegetable!

@kze  You are so right!  And I guess mustard comes from a plant. . . technically!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  Oh yes, you're right about mustard.  Plus it has turmeric which is supposed to be a super food.  How healthy we'll be!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner Love ham too.  I’m fixing ham for Thanksgiving. Lots of leftovers for

all the football games the rest of the weekend.  Nibbling with potato salad or my husband’s favourite carrot-raisin salad.  Sometimes jambalaya. 

Don’t forget the ham and biscuits!  I like ham and bean soup with the bone but, pintos sound good too.  

Honored Contributor

There is only one perfect food for me 365 days a year, and that is a ground chuck hamburger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard and pickles on the side.   It covers all the food groups for me, and I will eat one for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and anytime in between.   

With all my food allergies and sensitivities, a hamburger is my safe, go-to food.   I never get tired of them, and doubt I would ever say I’ve had too many hamburgers in my life.   At 63, I do smile and happily say I’ve had sooo many hamburgers in my life!    

We’ve actually had hamburgers on Christmas Day many times, due to the fact everywhere else we went that day had ham.   I will eat ham, but am extremely sensitive to salt, and rarely find a ham I can tolerate.   When it comes to ham, I am that one person at the family gathering that looks for the smallest piece, and usually declares it to be too salty for me.   I’ve always been this way, which never went over well as a child in a family that raised our own pork!   

Trusted Contributor

We like the stuffing and potato salad. I make extra so we can feast on it for days.  The same with the turkey, we love turkey sandwiches the following days. But a weeks worth is enough. Oh, and then there's the cranberry relish and I could eat a whole pumpkin pie, if I let myself!

But what is really funny is, I have a Cat, and from the time the turkey comes out of the oven, she is standing at my feet begging. So, what me and hubby don't eat ,she will gladly consume.  Normally she is really picky eater but not when there's turkey in the fridge. It's like she knows it's there. 😺

Then I'm ready for the Ham at Christmas.  Nothing like leftover ham for ham biscuits, ham sandwiches or throw some in a pot of macaroni and cheese.  I'm gaining weight just thinking about it all !

I used to start making homemade fudge the first week in November. I was making one run a week and my husband was eating one run a week. So now it's Christmas week only.  No one needs that much sugar!

Honored Contributor

i love our dressing.......it is so good and i could eat if for days, but it usually doesnt last more than three. i love  making it into patties the next day, frying it until it  gets a little crispy, and topping it with a fried, sunny side up egg.

i pretty much love ALL the leftovers and then the cream of barley soup i make with the broth from the leftover carcass.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i love our dressing.......it is so good and i could eat if for days, but it usually doesnt last more than three. i love  making it into patties the next day, frying it until it  gets a little crispy, and topping it with a fried, sunny side up egg.

i pretty much love ALL the leftovers and then the cream of barley soup i make with the broth from the leftover carcass.

@sunshine45  I am going to try the patty and egg, never thought of it, but it sounds yummy.