Trusted Contributor

I know it's a bit early, but needed to share.

th.jpg

thBC2FCUZC.jpg

thBGME5O3R.jpg

thE4WEPH9K.jpg

thTG80K4JG.jpg

tt.jpg

thVORK8B6I.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving With My Family

I don't feel that way at all.  I love spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family.  We have a very large group and everyone seems to enjoy it a lot.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite holidays because of this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I love Thanksgiving too....but @roxxy1 I still laughed at these! 😁

Esteemed Contributor

i'm headed to the nearest cave for hibernation.....see you in january!!

Honored Contributor

My nuclear family was lovely, but some of my dad's relatives were real doozies. Not in a funny way, that you remember fondly years later. These people were mean and loved bringing up all of their grievances at large family gatherings. I couldn't wait to go home, we really only went for my grandma's sake, after she passed we had dinners at home and invited the nice relatives. I love your cartoons.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@NickNack  Your'e very lucky.  I just want to hide.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the laughs.  I could tell you stories about my family get togethers and you'd say, "No way".  You totally would think I was making them up.

But in the end two things always happened....well..more than two actually.

First, everyone went home full (meals totally provided by me because if I gave anyone something to bring they'd forget it and we would have ....say, rolls, dressing, etc, missing from the meal.  So, I dutifully always said, "Oh!  Just bring yourselves.  That's good enough".

Ummm....Let me see...OK, so my sisters who have belonged to Alcoholics Anonymous since like forever always bring (strangers even to them) people they've just met (other alcoholics, I assumed).  Sometimes they would mean maybe 5 or more EXTRAS.  Not to worry we had lots of food.

I worked my tush off getting everything ready.  Then my poor husband had to drive about 45 minutes to 1 hour up town (where all but a few of them come from) to bring my mother to us.  They even passed by her place.....they forgot that too.

Oh!  Back to my alcoholic sisters.  You see I've never seen nor has any family member (even those who live with them) seen them drunk in any way...they say they are so, whatever.  When they come they always have beer, wine, etc.  I lived with a true alcoholic (my Dad) so I know that's not how it works.

There would always be a few who'd have been in a bitter battle with someone.  Eventually someone would leave the party (not the alcoholic (?) sisters, this would be another sister and probably my mother.  These were all adults in their 40's, 50's.....but so what.

Once my sister had a huge plate of food, stood up and tripped over one of my many nieces or nephews.  Ever seen mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey, (put some beets in their for color and stain)....You get the idea.  It managed to hit the wall and run down to the beige rug.  Not to worry.

Oh!  The stories I could tell you guys.  The previous paragraph reminds me of the time my late husband was sitting on the stairs with a plate (similar to above) and the paper plate bent just perfect to pour everything into my oldest sister's open purse.  That episode cost me a new (designer) purse, but thank GOD it was before the days of cell phones so I didn't have to buy a new cell phone!

I won't bore  you with some of the other 'interesting' things that happened.  

If I sound angry or regretful that we had all of this happen, I don't mean to 'say' that.  We did have a lot of fun.  We are a huge family when we get together.

We love each other so much and are always there for each other.  When my little sister needed a car I gave her the money to buy one.  When she couldn't afford her medicine, I met her and gave her money to get it.

Many of them have lived with me, my late husband and daughters at one time or another.  I know they appreciated it and it makes me feel good when they tell me what a positive effect I've had on their lives.

They are all kind and wonderful people.  They are sometimes their own worst enemies.  It's not just me who loves them, it's hard not to love my family.

We get together and laugh (what else can you do) at some of what did and still does go on.

I had someone say (who doesn't know my family) "What kind of roll models are these people"?  

I say, "Look!  If those kids turn out half as wonderful as their other relatives, I'll be happy". 

In our family we accept people the way THEY are not the way WE or others would like them to be.

Incidentally, no one gets drunk or does drugs.  They just alll have 'excitable' personalities.

I've been told I can hold my own in that category....Hummm??  Anyway, I think the word would be in a better place if more people were like my family when we get together (and even when we aren't together).

Come on people...fess up...tell us some of your 'stories'.

I have lots more lbut gotta go meet my teenage granddaughters for lunch and shopping.  Hummm??? Teenagers who still want to hang out with a 73 year old grandma....See what I mean? 

Honored Contributor

@roxxy1 @Annabellethecat66 @nana59 @QVCkitty1 @alicedee 

this is funny or difficult...hard to decide.

I have not felt well on Thanksgiving for 10 years.

Therefore, I have mentally "punished" myself for many years for not "catering" to the whims of family and not being the kind of nurturing female that they have been.

Now that the children have grown up, I'm not so sure it would have been better if I had been.

I admire anyone who caters to family and their needs.

Just think...you are creating memories that they will treasure for a lifetime🧡

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I love Thanksgiving.It's my favorite Holiday.Family,friends, Football & food!! 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 why didn’t you feel well each year..did you feel that you wouldn’t be able to create the kind of stuff you see in a hallmark movie?You just shouldn’t put so much pressure on yourself.Mostly it’s about getting together to enjoy each other’s company.Order dinner in,get premade food or get everyone to bring a dish and relax and enjoy the gift of family time.