Esteemed Contributor

Temps down in the 20's...what do I cover?

Our temps are due to go down in the 20's tonight with 1-3 in of snow. Everything is coming up and I am afraid of it all being ruined.

I have roses, hydrangea, butterfly bush, lilies, hostas...iris.

I know my tulips and daffodils are toast, but what should I cover?

I can't cover the entire yard. I have to drain the birdbaths and fountain too...

Super Contributor

Re: Temps down in the 20's...what do I cover?

I would cover as many as possible using old sheets, tarps, blankets.  You can cover smaller plants with black trash bags opened up over the plants.  I use clip clothespins to hold them on.  Good luck.  It is a lot of work but maybe you can save some plants.

Frequent Contributor

If they are perennials they should be ok.   Where I live there have been a few nights that it has gotten that low and mine were fine.   They only flowers that I lost were the buds on my magnolia tree.   The ones on the bottom of the tree bloomed, but the ones on the top just turned brown.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

If you live in colder climate they might survive, but in a warmer climate like I live in, Texas, we cover up ALL garden plants when the temperature is 32 or below

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Good idea to cover the hydrangeas.  Yes, the plant will survive without it but the freeze will kill its buds, in which case you'll have no blossoms this year.