Honored Contributor

Re: Tabletop tree made of vintage ornaments...

@Susan Louise wrote:

@BirdieGal wrote:

OKAY...SPILL IT!

What is the undercarriage of the tree? I am so making two of these for next year.

❤️❤️❤️

@BirdieGal  They are foam cones you can get at any craftstore or online Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Do you think they are glued on or wired?

Respected Contributor

Just beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@BirdieGal wrote:

OKAY...SPILL IT!

What is the undercarriage of the tree? I am so making two of these for next year.

❤️❤️❤️

@BirdieGal  They are foam cones you can get at any craftstore or online Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Do you think they are glued on or wired?

@mousiegirl  oh, definitely glued! The ornaments you choose will of coarse be sacrifices...so to speak. If it was me, I would have a test run on making an ornament tree using a cone and cheap or unwanted ornaments. This way you can see/test/try how much glue from a glue gun you would need, testing out placement of ornaments, trying different ways of placing/gluing tinsel, etc. Spendng the extra money on an extra cone is minimal since you can get one say at Michaels for 40% off with a coupon or cheaper elsewhere.

For the real tree after practicing, I wouldn't choose the cheapest cones...would be worth the few extra dollars for better quality that will last and not fall apart...

I would also use a tiny drop of glue (lifting the cap up just enough so as to put the drop of glue underneath where the cap goes so the drops of glue don't show) to keep the caps on the ornaments in place too before gluing the ornaments to the foam cone...HTH Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love it ! What a fabulous idea!

Honored Contributor

That's gorgeous! I wish someone would make me one lol.

Honored Contributor

I am crazy about this and want to make one. I wonder if there are knock off inexpensive vintage looking ornaments anywhere...anyone seen them or have ideas??Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DREAMON wrote:

I am crazy about this and want to make one. I wonder if there are knock off inexpensive vintage looking ornaments anywhere...anyone seen them or have ideas??Thanks.

@DREAMON  If you don't want to use real vintage ornaments, I would just go to brick and morter stores that sell Christmas decor and browse throught their after Christmas sales with 50-75% off. You can get many various boxes of cheap ornaments...some may look vintage-like.

As I mentioned in a post to @mousiegirl in this thread, I would use cheap ornaments on a test/trial run anyway Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This 322919874333 is available on Ebay (otherwise even reproductions were ridiculous.  I would combine Dollar Tree glitter ornaments with fancier ornaments purchased day after Christmas.   If you practiced making this, next year you could give them as Holiday or Hostess gifts.

Honored Contributor

Somewhere in the depths of my garage, I have all my parent's ornaments, some quite old.  What a wonderful use of them this would be.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Love the idea!!!