Honored Contributor

Yesterday I happened to stumble across a one day only of the Bethlehem Lights touch candles. 

I have some in the sand color that I bought back in June (I swear they were a TSV, but please correct me if I am wrong about that). I like them a lot. The size, the color, the battery life, the primitive style of the wax. 

When I saw them on a one day only yesterday, I looked up what I paid for them, and saw that in less than 6 months, they had dropped $10 per set (each set, each size) from the TSV price. Both instances had free shipping. I couldn't resist the price, so I ordered a set in each size in red this time.

Today (as I usually do after a TSV or a One Day Only) I checked the prices on the sets, and they are now $20 higher than they were yesterday, plus they now have $5.50 shipping. 

So in June the sets were $44.95/39.95 TSV price (I'm pretty sure it was a TSV), yesterday they were $34.95/29.95 (ten dollars less than the TSV pricing), and today they are $54.50/49.50 (about $20 higher than yesterday's One Day Only).

I remember back in the day, they used to say that an item at a TSV price wouldn't be any lower for a year, but that has obviously changed. 

Glad I got them yesterday for such a great price, but honestly, it has become a game to figure out if/when something is a good deal at Q, and if it will be less than their super duper today only pricing. 

I'm sure other retailers do similar things, prices change, go up and down, but really, it seems the right thing to do would be markdowns over time, progressively lower till clearanced out. The up and downs, the insinuations that 'today is the lowest price you will see on this item for....' only to not be true, a few months later....it all gets to be quite the game. 

Just a vent.

Honored Contributor

Re: TSVs and pricing games at Q

@Mominohio wrote:

Yesterday I happened to stumble across a one day only of the Bethlehem Lights touch candles. 

I have some in the sand color that I bought back in June (I swear they were a TSV, but please correct me if I am wrong about that). I like them a lot. The size, the color, the battery life, the primitive style of the wax. 

When I saw them on a one day only yesterday, I looked up what I paid for them, and saw that in less than 6 months, they had dropped $10 per set (each set, each size) from the TSV price. Both instances had free shipping. I couldn't resist the price, so I ordered a set in each size in red this time.

Today (as I usually do after a TSV or a One Day Only) I checked the prices on the sets, and they are now $20 higher than they were yesterday, plus they now have $5.50 shipping. 

So in June the sets were $44.95/39.95 TSV price (I'm pretty sure it was a TSV), yesterday they were $34.95/29.95 (ten dollars less than the TSV pricing), and today they are $54.50/49.50 (about $20 higher than yesterday's One Day Only).

I remember back in the day, they used to say that an item at a TSV price wouldn't be any lower for a year, but that has obviously changed. 

Glad I got them yesterday for such a great price, but honestly, it has become a game to figure out if/when something is a good deal at Q, and if it will be less than their super duper today only pricing. 

I'm sure other retailers do similar things, prices change, go up and down, but really, it seems the right thing to do would be markdowns over time, progressively lower till clearanced out. The up and downs, the insinuations that 'today is the lowest price you will see on this item for....' only to not be true, a few months later....it all gets to be quite the game. 

Just a vent.

probably true, but  I realized years ago that you can't chase every sale and discount or you would go nuts.  

So buy what you can when you can at what you feel is a good price.

and know when to leave it  there 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Just a vent.

probably true, but  I realized years ago that you can't chase every sale and discount or you would go nuts.  

I agree with you but that's not the point.   

QVC must think we are stupid.   They are playing games.

You don't see this kind of up & down at retail.

They don't have TSVs, then Big Deals, One Day Onlys and on & on.   

You can look at the calendar to know the big sale days are at retail - Columbus day, Veteran's Day & on & on.

Plus you can score coupons and online codes to get  even better markdowns.

I buy something maybe once a month on QVC and when I do, I agree with you.

I did my homework, felt I got value for my purchase and can't stress when it's lower or on a better deal in the future.

Honored Contributor

soft

I agree with you but that's not the point.   

QVC must think we are stupid.   They are playing games.

You don't see this kind of up & down at retail.

They don't have TSVs, then Big Deals, One Day Onlys and on & on.   

You can look at the calendar to know the big sale days are at retail - Columbus day, Veteran's Day & on & on.

Plus you can score coupons and online codes to get  even better markdowns.

I buy something maybe once a month on QVC and when I do, I agree with you.

I did my homework, felt I got value for my purchase and can't stress when it's lower or on a better deal in the future.

I agree on that as well

Honored Contributor

I have always admired people who can keep track of prices when and where.  I've never been able or stressed about it.  Not stressed because if I did, I'd go crazy on how I was probably gypped.

I just get what I want and really like and pretend (whether I did or not) I didn't get gypped. 

I go on the premise, if I liked something and it wasn't outrageously priced or if I thought it was worth the money, I buy it.

I think you could (or I know I could) drive myself crazy.  I call trying to always figure out if you got the right price or someone cheated you (second guessing) the 'woulda....coulda...game'.

I'm not talking about anyone but myself.  That's how I go through life.  I've always considered myself a relatively happy person, so for me...my system works.  I have a friend who goes crazy and it seems is never happy because she thinks everyone cheats her or is out to cheat her.

Respected Contributor

Kohls & Elder Beerman are really bad about prices going up & down according to what "sales & coupons" they are running.

It does make me crazy sometimes, but if it is something that I am looking for, like my Shark vacuum or my Hoover carpet cleaner, I keep an eye on the sales/coupns/ebates until I see what I think will be the best deal.

Other things if I pay a fair price for something that I see that I want or need at that moment, I have to roll with it.

Respected Contributor

Everyone does it.  Not just QVC.  That's the name of the game.