Honored Contributor

Re: THIS MAY BE OLD NEWS, BUT NEW FOR ME

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl, I know what you mean about the difference in clarity (also colors) from device to device.  For years we had the super limited Comcast bare bones plan, which included QVC.  Since we canceled cable tv, because that baby plan went to well over $20 for practically nothing but QVC and local channels,  I have had to view all Q programs over the internet. 

The internet live stream is so much clearer than my old cable tv service, which I always said was dumbed down by Comcast because I wasn't paying for high definition.  At my parents' who still have Comcast cable tv, apparently not a hi def plan, all I see is blurry channels, nothing ever clear or crisp, even though they have a big, nice, new tv.  Makes me mad.

I can watch on a computer screen or tablet screen, or I can screen mirror or cast my tablet to my smart tv screen, or, my latest favorite way to watch--use the smart tv's YouTube app and stream QVC from their YT channel.  The only device I have that gives me lots of trouble with Q's live stream is my older laptop.   The picture is seldom clear and is pixelated (buffering I guess) much of the time, so it will vary a bit depending on the ram, etc., of each device.

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl, I know what you mean about the difference in clarity (also colors) from device to device.  For years we had the super limited Comcast bare bones plan, which included QVC.  Since we canceled cable tv, because that baby plan went to well over $20 for practically nothing but QVC and local channels,  I have had to view all Q programs over the internet. 

The internet live stream is so much clearer than my old cable tv service, which I always said was dumbed down by Comcast because I wasn't paying for high definition.  At my parents' who still have Comcast cable tv, apparently not a hi def plan, all I see is blurry channels, nothing ever clear or crisp, even though they have a big, nice, new tv.  Makes me mad.

I can watch on a computer screen or tablet screen, or I can screen mirror or cast my tablet to my smart tv screen, or, my latest favorite way to watch--use the smart tv's YouTube app and stream QVC from their YT channel.  The only device I have that gives me lots of trouble with Q's live stream is my older laptop.   The picture is seldom clear and is pixelated (buffering I guess) much of the time, so it will vary a bit depending on the ram, etc., of each device.

@SHOPR  Speaking of Comcast, I posted on a thread recently about cutting off cable, and I so want to do that, another raise this month $160 for basic, and of course tons of channels I don't watch.  If enough customers would cancel, they would have to change, but that won't happen, at least for a while.  I still cannot find out which channels are cable and which are not no matter what I put in the search box.  Some I know.  I wish there was a list online of which channels are and which are not.

I also think Comcast, crooks that they are, should offer senior citizens a deal, a smaller package with local and some cable channels, not tons of Latino and Asian, etc. channels which most of us do not watch, and shouldn't have to pay for, including over a hundred channels when we only watch twenty or less.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, I haven't read that thread.  I wish I could help you figure out the channels, but I don't know much about that.  We don't watch much tv nowadays, except for antenna channels we get like PBS, NBC, etc., Netflix (over internet) and occasionally something on HGTV or History apps, but since we no longer have a cable tv account, we must log in to those last 2 apps as my parents, who do still have cable tv.  It is confusing. 

We have talked about subscribing to a Sling TV plan (you may want to check them out) but we really don't watch enough programs to worry with it right now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl - I dumped Comcast three years ago and have never looked back. Although there was a small initial investment in purchasing a high-quality antenna, a DVR that allows me to record over-the-air programming, and a Roku for streaming apps, I have saved a ridiculous amount of money overall.

I started using Sling two years ago and really like it; I now pay about $27/month to get the majority of the channels I was paying Comcast $150/month for. If you're interested in Sling (which you can watch via just about any smart TV, streaming device, computer, tablet, or phone), you can go to their website and look at the package options that are offered—all of them will tell you exactly which channels you're getting. (This was what helped me the most, as I was able to really sit down and figure out the channels I watched regularly that I could still access for a much lower price.) And if you opt for the monthly DVR service as well, you can record an unlimited number of channels simultaneously, which is amazing.

If you have any questions about Sling, I'm happy to help. They really should give me a commission with how many people I've "converted" to their service. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl - I dumped Comcast three years ago and have never looked back. Although there was a small initial investment in purchasing a high-quality antenna, a DVR that allows me to record over-the-air programming, and a Roku for streaming apps, I have saved a ridiculous amount of money overall.

I started using Sling two years ago and really like it; I now pay about $27/month to get the majority of the channels I was paying Comcast $150/month for. If you're interested in Sling (which you can watch via just about any smart TV, streaming device, computer, tablet, or phone), you can go to their website and look at the package options that are offered—all of them will tell you exactly which channels you're getting. (This was what helped me the most, as I was able to really sit down and figure out the channels I watched regularly that I could still access for a much lower price.) And if you opt for the monthly DVR service as well, you can record an unlimited number of channels simultaneously, which is amazing.

If you have any questions about Sling, I'm happy to help. They really should give me a commission with how many people I've "converted" to their service. Smiley Happy

@loriqvc  Thank you.  With sling and/or Roku, can shows be watched on a regular tv or does it have to be a smart tv, we don't have the latter.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@loriqvc  Thank you.  With sling and/or Roku, can shows be watched on a regular tv or does it have to be a smart tv, we don't have the latter.  

@mousiegirl - If you purchase a Roku, you can connect it to your TV to essentially make it into a smart TV; there are hundreds of apps (including Sling and QVC as well as well-known apps like Hulu and Netflix) that you can stream through the Roku.

Here's a handy link with an overview of how a Roku works:
https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

Also worth mentioning: Sling offers a seven-day free trial so you can check it out and see whether it will work for you. Here’s a link to the main Sling page that outlines all the channels and services: https://www.sling.com/service  First, you choose either the Orange or Blue package for just $25/month (plus tax). Then if you scroll down the page, you’ll see the add-ons that are available to further customize your channels and viewing experience.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl - If you purchase a Roku, you can connect it to your TV to essentially make it into a smart TV; there are hundreds of apps (including Sling and QVC as well as well-known apps like Hulu and Netflix) that you can stream through the Roku.

Also worth mentioning: Sling offers a seven-day free trial so you can check it out and see whether it will work for you. Here’s a link to the main Sling page that outlines all the channels and services: https://www.sling.com/service  First, you choose either the Orange or Blue package for just $25/month (plus tax). Then if you scroll down the page, you’ll see the add-ons that are available to further customize your channels and viewing experience.

@loriqvc  I sent info to DH, and he thinks that we would have to get Direct tv or some other provider than what I mentioned, but sling is a provider, correct?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@loriqvc  I sent info to DH, and he thinks that we would have to get Direct tv or some other provider than what I mentioned, but sling is a provider, correct?

@mousiegirl - Yes, Sling is the provider of the channel streams. If you go to the link I shared, it will show you everything that is available—and it's a lot! To use Sling on your TV, you will need to connect to some kind of app-streaming device; to use it on a phone, tablet, or computer, all you have to do is download the app. Easy peasy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl - Yes, Sling is the provider of the channel streams. If you go to the link I shared, it will show you everything that is available—and it's a lot! To use Sling on your TV, you will need to connect to some kind of app-streaming device; to use it on a phone, tablet, or computer, all you have to do is download the app. Easy peasy! Smiley Happy

@loriqvc  Yes, I sent the link to DH, and I am researching, just hope, as he thinks, that we have do not have to get all new tvs, which I can't believe is the case.  I have to understand it so I can discuss it with DH, not easy, lol.  Thank you for your help, I am the one that the series of books ----- for Dummies were written regarding anything technical, think my brain slams the door just seeing the word, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl - P.S. I was just looking at the Sling site and noticed that there's a "Devices" link at the top of the page that shows examples of devices you can use for streaming Sling. I also noticed that there are two offers associated with a Roku purchase if you're interested, and one is even free if you prepay for your Sling subscription.

If all this streaming is new to you, though, I'd recommend doing the seven-day trial on your computer if you don't have any other device options and seeing what you think first. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@loriqvc  Yes, I sent the link to DH, and I am researching, just hope, as he thinks, that we have do not have to get all new tvs, which I can't believe is the case.  I have to understand it so I can discuss it with DH, not easy, lol.  Thank you for your help, I am the one that the series of books ----- for Dummies were written regarding anything technical, think my brain slams the door just seeing the word, lol.

@mousiegirl - Having something be new to you is not the same as being dumb. Hopefully the post I wrote while you were composing this one is helpful. If you have other questions, please let me know . . . I'm happy to help. I really like Sling and think it is a good choice for many people, but it obviously isn't the right option for some.