Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions For Christmas Tree

[ Edited ]

I don't know if any of you follow the blog, Between Naps on the Porch, but Susan has a post today about her recent purchase from Balsam Hill. She shelled out over $700 for a highly rated tree and she couldn't be more disappointed. She gives a very honest assessment with pictures, etc.  Just thought I would mention it here for any of you who might be interested. I think she was pretty shocked at the quality she received. Also, if you scroll down to the bottom of her post, there are lots and lots of comments from her readers with suggestions on where to buy trees.

@Allegheny, I just saw your reply here so Susan's blog post might be something you would like to read. Just Google "Between Naps on the Porch." Or, this is the link, although I know many here don't like to click on them.

http://betweennapsontheporch.net/so-disappointed-with-my-balsam-hill-fraser-fir/ 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped Thanks so much!

I just read Susan's blog about her tree. I have to agree with her on several areas.  The lights are dispersed nicely, but it is going to take hours to get the top of that tree looking decent; the wiring placement is a complete mess.  Granted all trees need adjustments, but this one is ridiculous.  My DH is going to disagree with me, but I want to return this tree.  I feel a big fight a coming. (He's not the one who decorates the tree so I think he should defer to me. LOL).

Before we ordered, I read many reviews on their customer service and almost didn't order because of the horror stories I read.  I should have paid attention to my intuition.

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped  thanks for posting this!  Yesterday I looked online at Balsam Hill...I felt there prices for what you get were super high!  So they were taken off the list for me.

Even though Q's demo's of the TSV tree were over the top yesterday they did show that you could do lights in different solid colors or brightness.  I admit I almost thought about changing my mind and ordering it!! LOL

I just kept thinking it's gonna look like a giant rubber tree!  

I have seen the ones at Costco and they are a good deal BUT the diameter is so big!  I really was hoping to be 50 or under that...48 perhaps.  That was the only thing on that TSV yesterday...the 7.5ft tree had a 50" diameter.  

The Martha Stewart tree in the info online says  54"....husband (just wants me to make up my mind...get something LOL) says we will get that one.  

I will look at that link you posted...perhaps there's some better ones with small diameter.

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped

I wanted to update you on the outcome of our Balsam Hill tree purchase.  We decided to sent it back and it was picked up by FedEx today.

We had bought the 7.5' flip tree and that tree was just too heavy.  The bottom of the tree was hinged and quite nice, but the top's wiring was just a mess as Susan described.  And I had no patience to annually try and arrange the brances with that nasty wiring system.  Balsam Hill return was easy enough.  They emailed a prepaid return label which will be debited from our refund ($25.00).  

We are still looking at other trees (Tree Classic), but may just wait until next year which will probably bring out new technology.  I am glad we kept our old tree.  

DH husband put me through the wringer with this purchase, ie., you need to get moving on ordering a tree right now, blah, blah. and the same wringer to return it.  Then says to me tonight, well we  can use the old tree and who knows you may not want to put up such a big tree next year.  Something I  have been discussing with him the past two years.  I think he just likes to raise my blood pressure.

But I did want to get back to update you and thank you for referring me to Susan's blog.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny, probably just as well that you sent it back. If you're not happy right off the bat with an item, the "unhappiness" will tend to get worse over the years. That's my experience, anyway.

Did you see that Susan ultimately found a tree she really likes? I'll post the link below in case you want to see what she found. She got it at Home Depot and it's a GE Canadian Just cut pre lit tree. Take it for what it's worth as I personally don't have a clue about trees...I don't even put one up anymore. Horrors! Ha! I just love her blog and find she tends to be pretty discerning. 

Hope you and @tsavorite find something you like. Who knew tree shopping could be so hard. Woman Frustrated  

https://betweennapsontheporch.net/ge-canadian-just-cut-tree-a-beautiful-christmas-tree-with-one-plug...