Respected Contributor

Re: Storage for holiday/seasonal decor

I use plastic storage bins and place them in the attic. I am also very blessed to have shelfing in my studio since I decorate seasonally.

Respected Contributor

We store all decor in the large plastic bins.  Christmas ornaments are kept in their original boxes.  I now try to keep original boxes for everything.  I did not for some of Valerie's mercury glass items and I have to wrap them in lots of bubble wrap.  I find that takes up more room.  I think the originally packaging, IMO, is more sturdy.  Whether in original packing or not, it all goes in storage bins and labeled.  All goes in the attic.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   I love your idea of storage in ottomans.  Would you believe I have a big double ottoman that is empty?  Really stupid and a waste of good storage space.  I'm going to put that thing to work!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Zsazsa  I have so many Christmas and Fall items and storage has become tight. I throw away all the styrofoam and the small boxes that things come in. If a box is large enough to be used to store several items I will save it for my decor items or for good will donations. I use those big plastic bins with lids for most of my stuff and nothing has ever broken. I save bubble wrap that comes in packaging and layer with it when I pack things away. I also have purchased bubble wrap for that use.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

As much as possible I do store items in the original styrofoam packaging. Once the foam starts to fall apart I wrap in bubble wrap that you can buy at Home Depot or lowes in huge rolls , and then in a plastic bin. Storing in the original packing does take up a lot more space, but you can put things one on top of another because they are secure in their foam and the boxes will stack.

My Christmas tree decorations - very few still have the original boxes but I buy boxes at the dollar store so each one is wrapped in bubble wrap then placed in it's very own box before being put in the big plastic storage bin, except for those things that are not breakable. Those just go in a shoe box and into the storage bin.

Respected Contributor

My Christmas tree ornaments go in a large plastic bin. I use an old towel between each layer...nothing has ever broken. My cookie jars, etc. are wrapped in old towels and go in another bin. That's it! I don't have a ton of decorations so they don't take up much space at all. My Thanksgiving/fall and Easter things are few enough that they fit in a cabinet in the guest room.