Valued Contributor

Storage Options for VPH Wreaths, Garland & Picks

Fellow decorators, I need your wisdom and experience when it comes to holiday decor storage.  My collection of VPH wreaths, garland and picks has grown but my available storage space has not!  I faithfully keep everything in original boxes but that takes up a lot of space.

I'm thinking of ditching the original boxes and putting each collection in its own plastic bin.  Does anyone else do this?  Do you think the items will remain in tact and looking good through the years?

Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Options for VPH Wreaths, Garland & Picks

[ Edited ]

I put all my wreaths in plastic containers of the same shape. I get them from Amazon.

I have gotten various sizes in the past; the most recent was the set of 3 below. I think I have purchased some from Walmart before too.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 3.40.24 PM.png

Respected Contributor

I store mine in a container similar to above but it is made of canvas and has a little "give" to it. Each one will hold two or more wreaths. Picks  can be nestled in the wreath holes. I them put them on top of my garage cabinets. This way they don't get crushed or dirty.

Respected Contributor

I like keeping them in the original box. Yes, it can take up space, but they stack well. I also write with a marker on the side of the box specifying the item and then 3 D cell batteries so I can be prepared when I pull them out.

Respected Contributor

I take things out of the original boxes and put them in clear plastic bins which are stored on shelves in the garage.  The only things I keep in the original boxes are the poinsettia plants as four fit into one box with dividers and I know exactly what those are.

Valued Contributor

I have wreaths in square bins.  I'm sure you could add coordinating items to the box.  I bought a set of 3 from Amazon last year. 

IRIS USA BCB-SQ Wreath Storage Box, 3 Pack, Clear/Red

IRIS USA BCB-SQ Wreath Storage Box, 3 Pack, Clear/Red

Respected Contributor

A couple of years ago I had racks mounted on the ceiling in my garage to keep my bins of decorations.  I take my wreaths and slip a plastic garbage bag over the wreath, attach an S hook to the top of the wreath and hang it from the bottom of the racks.That way they don't get dusty or bent out of shape. 

Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Fellow decorators, I need your wisdom and experience when it comes to holiday decor storage.  My collection of VPH wreaths, garland and picks has grown but my available storage space has not!  I faithfully keep everything in original boxes but that takes up a lot of space.

I'm thinking of ditching the original boxes and putting each collection in its own plastic bin.  Does anyone else do this?  Do you think the items will remain in tact and looking good through the years?

Actually I've done the opposite.  I had some wreaths in those plastic storage bins but they are too big, too bulky and too heavy.  My husband has to go up and down the stairs into the attic to get them and it's getting difficult.  We've been going through the bins in the attic, there is a lot of them, and getting rid of a lot and not using those bins anymore.  We have many because we used them and bought a lot for moving here.  I keep wreaths in original box and in a downstairs closet in extra bedroom.

Honored Contributor

I ran out of space so I got other people to store them, display them, and then take them down and put them up again.

Took 'em to the Salvation Army and now somebody else does all of this!  Woman Embarassed  Yes, I had a sudden onset laziness attack a few years ago!  

I admire all of you who do decorate!  Kudos to you!  

Honored Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

@Beauty Maven   I use Bethlehem Lights green storage bags, they can stand on their sides and have a sturdy handle.