Honored Contributor

Re: Started Fall decorating...

Over the last several years, I have found I prefer my fall decor to any other, even Christmas, which used to be my favorite. 

I can't bring myself to rush the seasonal decor though. I love that by decorating after Labor Day, I still get to see my fall things for over two and a half months, and that is plenty of time for me. I like to watch CIJ and fall decor shows, go to Hobby Lobby, and dream about the fall and Christmas decor, but I just don't get it out till later. Beginning with the fall decor, and followed by Christmas, I have so much more 'stuff' out on display, that it makes cleaning more work, to work around and clean under those things, so I choose to wait a bit longer. 

My mom used to decorate our home differently only for Christmas, and had very few things. When we were growing up, she would decorate just a couple of weeks before Christmas. 

Now she decorates for fall and for Christmas, and gets things out so early, she is putting them away before the season is over. I've seen her empty her home of Christmas stuff, before Christmas day! LOL Makes no sense to me, and is not at all characteristic of how she used to do! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise 

That beaded fruit and pine cone tree.....

I hesitated on those, and have regretted it ever since! I love that piece, and I think it had other pieces to match. 

I really wish I'd gotten a whole set of those!

Honored Contributor

I am the only one in my family that decorates for the different seasons.  My family only decorates for Christmas just as my mother did.  They kind of pick on me when I change my decor.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise 

How satisfying it is to use something you created yourself that is still perfect year after year.  That kind of accomplishment always makes me happy - whether it's my creation or someone else's.  It's lovely, Susan Louise. 

It's been kind of "dark" here lately (yet warm) and, on some days, the sunlight is already starting to have that amber fall glow which brings the thought of fall decorating all the more to my mind. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@LIG1, that is so very kind of you, thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to think fall when it's over 100 degrees and the air conditioner is going full blast.  I decorate within seasons and look forward to each one.  So 9/23 I will bring my fall "stuff" out and it is replaced by Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  I always have a seasonal wreath over my fireplace and have searched far and wide for the perfect ones.  I have gone from covering every horizontal service with decor to a few statement pieces to make things easier.  I am an avid Pier1 shopper and love their wreaths and crackle glass pumpkins in multiple sizes.  

So Happy Fall to all and enjoy decorating whenever you choose to start.  It's all about enjoying your home.  

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Pretty. I can’t bring myself to decorate for fall until late September, or even October. August and September are our hottest months, regularly 100 and over.

@bikerbabe, I'm the same way.  The first "fall" item to come out is my front door mat and I won't do that until mid-September.  Then I usually order mums from a friend's son's boy scout troop and those come out mid to late September.  

I cannot really put pumpkins or gourds outside until at least late September because the weather can be too hot and thy just get rotted and bug infested.  

I don't do much fall decor inside.  I do a few little things here and there. 

Valued Contributor

More decor pictures of your fall decorating Please. Also, recently you had posted a picture of some lit bare branch trees with white owls. I had forgotten I had those cute owls and when VPH's TSV lit trees come I am going to copy your cute display, even though you mentioned you were getting rid of those particular trees in the pic I think. You do have an eye for decorating and making everything look so  pleasing to the eye.

Esteemed Contributor

One word~~~FABULOUS!!!

~~~All we need is loveđź’–

Respected Contributor

It's still summer here (mid-Michigan). I'm not that eager to fast-forward through life.