Respected Contributor

Nope, don’t decorate or celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

Esteemed Contributor

Re: St. Patrick's Day

[ Edited ]

Love St. Patrick's Day! I spent time in Ireland in the 70's taking college courses and biking all over with my college classmates. It's more of a holy day in Ireland, but I like what we do in the US. My daughter-in-law is part Irish, so we really enjoy celebrating with them. We make the brown soda bread and eat it with orange marmalade and have it with baked eggs and tomatoes for breakfast. Then we have Irish cheeses and smoked salmon and cucumber with table water crackers for lunch, and corned beef, cabbage and potatoes for supper. No one served corned beef in Ireland, but cabbage and potatoes were everywhere.

Super Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@poohbear1 - it's made with whole wheat flour, white flour and wheat germ so it more closely resembles the Irish wheat flour.

I had it one afternoon with tea while I was in Ireland and never went back to the traditional.

I will eat a slice of the white on occasion, but not really fond of it, most of them have to much baking soda in them and it makes my teeth feel weird!

This is the recipe I use from America's Test Kitchen.

https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-brown-soda-bread

thank you!

Super Contributor

found a really cute wooden Welcome plaque and some cute St Patricks Day placemats today!

Super Contributor

Never have, but just this morning got an email from the Collections website, showing the cutest little Leprechaun figurines! 

Honored Contributor

I decorate every year.  My husband is of Irish heritage. My in-laws are from Ireland.

I have a beautiful lace tablecloth, from  Ireland, I use on the dining room table. There is a  green shamrocks vinyl tablecloth on the kitchen table.  

Although I use them year round, I make it  a point to  use my Belleek and Donegal china pieces, as well as any Waterford. 

There are shamrock, harp and claddagh ring  sun catchers in the windows.

I make  brown Irish soda bread, my dmil's beef stew  and cabbage with bacon recipes,  scones and shepard's beef pie.

For the wee ones in the family, the leprechaun pays them a visit and leaves a little something. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

made shephards pie the other day-soo good -will make again before St Paddys Day

Honored Contributor

I ordered this wreath and vase filler from Pier 1. I've never found a St Patrick's Day wreath that I liked.  I fell in love with this one. Subtle and pretty. I would put it on the front door for all of March.

I'm going to put the vase filler in a Galway crystal bowl3271703_1.jpgdownload.jpeg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I ordered this wreath and vase filler from Pier 1. I've never found a St Patrick's Day wreath that I liked.  I fell in love with this one. Subtle and pretty. I would put it on the front door for all of March.

I'm going to put the vase filler in a Galway crystal bowl3271703_1.jpgdownload.jpeg

@Greeneyedlady21  LOVE the wreath!!   Going to look at Pier 1 website right now!!  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Re: St. Patrick's Day

[ Edited ]

Hi @dmod nj Heart

@Greeneyedlady21 gorgeous wreath!

ETA - we are not Irish either but it's always fun to make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day.