Honored Contributor

Re: Something I am going to try this year

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

Well, DH's office  is moved in now, I supervised, lol, and all I can say, and being nice, is to quote Shirley Temple. "Oh, my word!"  His side is packed to the gills, barely fit, then he brought an enormous coffee make after I just bought  Mr. Coffee, that is now in storage, and a small countertop refrigerator!  Did not know this was coming, so it is now in the downstairs bathroom, too tall for the pantry counter as there are cupboards above.

Tomorrow will be spent trying to organize there, while DH opens the tons of boxes of files he brought, no fun there.  I am trying to put Fall decor away admist the mess.

Grey, chilly day with some rain.

@OOPS!  I meant this post for another thread, lol.

Honored Contributor

I really like this, and I agree with liking the contrast of the elegance of the ornaments against the primitive bowl and the woodsy greens. 

I use a ton of greens in my decor during holiday and winter. I love how they can be dressed up or dressed down, and you can mix them with just about any color palate or style of decor. 

They tend to be 'the little black dress' of seasonal decorating, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, no worries, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

We are going to just keep to the basics and not decorate very much.  We are still in the middle of “Operation Cleanout,” as well as having our entire first floor repainted and hallway, as well.  We are doing it slowly, one area at a time.  It is quite an operation indeed.  When we bought our home, all woodwork on the first floor was stained, while the second floor was painted white.  We are having all woodwork on the first floor painted white, including all our many small-paned windows.  It all required three coats - a primer and then two coats of white paint.  We have a very good and patient painter working for us.

Our sunroom was done first, all painted white, leaving cathedral ceiling in natural wood.  Together with a new rug, it looks like a totally new room.  We have heavy white wicker furniture, and recently found a beautiful glass top table with ivory wrought iron chairs in top shape.  Perfect for our vintage home.

So this year it will be quick and easy.  Candles in the windows, only one tree in FR, and outside arrangements.  We have been donating to Vietnam Vets and Habitat for Humanity.

@Mominohio, I love all your ideas!  Always!  Years ago we saw a very expensive door arrangement we recreated for our front door.  We have a very old pair of original red-painted tall skis we attach to our front door, crossed closer to the top.  We add some greens and a bow, and the arrangement is unusual and really lovely.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT, your home sounds lovely. Nice to be getting fresh paint, etc. Starting the week after Christmas, I will be getting new flooring in the main bathroom also a new commode, my stepson will be doing the work as he is qualified. Then during the dreary winter months I am planning to make some changes in a downstairs guest room, to make it more guest friendly. I plan to do this work myself, so it may take some time. I love working on my home projects. We totally re-did every room when we bought this house about 20 years ago. But time and age has taken it's toll, so, it's time to give another look at what can be done, again.
Honored Contributor

I'm not terribly pleased with the outcome. Thinking about adding in some of these, for color:

I'll look at it again tomorrow in the daylight and decide. 

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

I'm not terribly pleased with the outcome. Thinking about adding in some of these, for color:

I'll look at it again tomorrow in the daylight and decide. 

@Snicks1   No pics, just those annoying boxes when pictures aren't showing.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, sorry about that, I don't know what is happening. The pics show up, on my end. I'll try again tomorrow.
Esteemed Contributor

Love the arrangement in the bowl - very pretty. I hope yours turns out to be just what you want.

I did the mantle and put up some inside decor - I did the outside a few days before thanksgiving when the weather happened to be warm. I'll do the tree this weekend I think.

the fruitcake looks yummy, too!