Respected Contributor

Re: So, speaking of gifts.....

I didn't read all of the other posts so I apologize for any duplication.

Insulated shopping bag

Portable power source for electronics

Gourmet salt or spice selection

Christmas CD (if they don't like it, it's easily re-gifted)

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Washcloth, hand and bath towel. 

I think this is great too. I often make up small gift baskets with nice, high end dish towels and dish cloths, rolled and tied with raffia, and some nice smelling lemon soap or a pretty pump/liquid soap. 

Even people who don't cook much always need a kitchen towel. Not great for kids, but anyone that is old enough to have their own place.

Honored Contributor

Now the great ideas are really flowing. Loving these ideas!

Frequent Contributor

One year, I did a Movie and Popcorn basket for family members who are older. I bought buckets of movie theater popcorn (the kind that come in the bucket) and put colorful shreadded paper, candies and a gift card to their local movie rental place and a pizza gift card inside the bucket.  I put it in a clear plastic decorator's bag (you can get them at your local craft store) and tied with great Christmas ribbon.  I have also gotten some wine glasses, assorted cheeses, crackers and put them in a basket with the person's favorite bottle or two of wine and wrapped it the same way. When they were done with the food items they used their basket in their kitchen to keep tea in.  You could do a nice basket with just about anything - bath items, teas, coffees, etc.

Honored Contributor

@qshpr89 wrote:

One year, I did a Movie and Popcorn basket for family members who are older. I bought buckets of movie theater popcorn (the kind that come in the bucket) and put colorful shreadded paper, candies and a gift card to their local movie rental place and a pizza gift card inside the bucket.  I put it in a clear plastic decorator's bag (you can get them at your local craft store) and tied with great Christmas ribbon.  I have also gotten some wine glasses, assorted cheeses, crackers and put them in a basket with the person's favorite bottle or two of wine and wrapped it the same way. When they were done with the food items they used their basket in their kitchen to keep tea in.  You could do a nice basket with just about anything - bath items, teas, coffees, etc.

@qshpr89

You post reminds me of a gift I put together for a couple that were friends a long time ago. 

We got them 'a night in' and 'a night out' gift baskets.

The 'night in' was a movie, a popcorn bowl filled with microwave popcorn and a throw. 

The 'night out' was tickets to the movies, and gift certificate (yep, that long ago, no gift 'cards') for a restaurant. 

They loved them.

Honored Contributor

Candles are always age and gender neutral!

Respected Contributor

Food! Fancy or seasonal candy or something gourmet!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.