Honored Contributor

Re: So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

@RedTopwe have quite a few hog, beef cattle and dairy farmers in my area. I know Thanksgiving is not a big holiday for them, they are just too busy. There really is no "holiday" for anyone who raises animals for meat and dairy consumption. I always wanted chickens, goats and sheep, but when I saw the kind of commitment it takes, I decided to stick to veggies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family volunteers me every year to do Thanksgiving at my house. I guess this year will be no different.

We usually have 32 people, but the family grew to 36.  No plans yet.  I usually do the same old thing..very traditional.

We have until the end of November, so it is too early to worry about it or make plans.  I'll wrap things up the week before.  I always order 2 Chickens from the market ahead of time. They are so much better than turkey. 

Esteemed Contributor

No idea what we are doing.  Years ago my family and my sister's family did Thanksgiving the Saturday after. They came to my house. On Thanksgiving Day I did a roast or even lasagna but everyone knew the big turkey dinner was two days later.  It got to be too much.

It's just kids and me this year and if all goes well I will be getting a new knee the week before. I don't see the big turkey dinner happening. We can do it for Christmas.  Truthfully, the kids don't care.  We all view it as just a day of work  with a big meal.

I'd be happy with chicken and biscuits and a small pan of stuffing.  If I have stuffing and gravy I;m happy.

Respected Contributor

Since I really haven't given it much thought, I approached DH.

No kids here, my brother and DH's siblings spend the day with their children.

I should have known his answer.  We'll stay home as usual and have the traditional turkey dinner.  I didn't respond, so that will give him something to ponder.

Honored Contributor

No plans at all this year.

My favorite Thanksgivings have been the quietest.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'm the matriarch of the family, also everyone wants mine. 

I'll be dancing with a 25 pound turkey (my DS and I are INSANE over turkey leftovers AND turkey sandwiches!!!), stuffing baked and inside the turkey, rice, green beans, glazed carrots, and roasted fresh mixed vegetables, yeast rolls, and pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream drizzled with kahlua.

Cranberry sauce.

I don't know why rice was always served with this dinner.  Stuffing is already a starch.  I never serve more than one starch in a meal.

@ECBG 

....Sounds wonderful....and your address is??????? Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

DH has said that Thanksgiving day is his favorite day, pumpkin pie and football, lol.

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Home, just the 2 of us.  As I nurse, I used to always work on Thanksgiving, but now I have a non-tradtitonal nursing job so am off.  And I refuse to drive the 50 miles to my mother's house - did that a few years back, took me 3 1/2 hours to get home! (and for those who have seen some of my other posts - my mother is a horrible cook!  LOL!).   

Super Contributor

Our Thanksgivings when we were growing up were idyllic ... my Dad made the turkey and we all had our ‘side dish assignments’... my Mom wasn’t a great cook, but she was a fabulous hostess. There was a lot of laughter and lots of family and friends stopped in... and we connected by phone with family on the East Coast.
As we got older, we moved on to celebrate with our in-laws... which are also very, very nice.... though I still miss those Thanksgivings from years long ago.