Esteemed Contributor

Re: So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

[ Edited ]

My sister always hosts Thanksgiving.  I always make stuffing and cranberry sauce.

#1DS may be in Japan with his GF for Thanksgiving or Christmas

#2DS may be in Dallas with his family for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

DH had prostate radiation in April 2019 so he doesn't want to be around babies or pregnant women for 12 months.

So I may be alone at my sister's.  I'll hitch a ride with my brother & family if so.  I hate to drive far, especially if the weather isn't perfect.

Maybe I'll just stay home with DH.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Home, pj's, ham sandwiches, fireplaces lit, enjoying the Christmas decorations.

@Sooner 

Aaahhhh! Fireplace. I haven't had one for 25 years after having one my whole life before. I so miss them. It's more than miss. Its a yearning. I've even thought about having one built here, but I hate to think what that would cost. If we were going to do it, we should have done it when we first bought. Not sure how many more years we'd get to enjoy it for what it would set us back. 

But anyway, enjoy your fireplaces!

@Mominohio We do!  We love them!  They are all gas logs. I wouldn't go back to wood for anything.  What a mess and a bother and as surely as it is a cold bad night you have to go OUT if you want wood!

We had one in the den and in the kitchen at one house and switched them to gas and there's no going back for us!  LOL!!!  Also, critters and snakes LOVE woodpiles. 

I'm with you...have not burned my real fireplace for a while, after having two experiences with a downdraft that created much soot damage to my walls and carpeting. After having just painted, not going to burn it anymore. Kind of a shame since it's still a big black hole in the main area of my living-room, that I try to make cozy with flameless candles.  I own a condo with electric heat, and unfortunately cannot switch to a gas line here.  If I ever have my own home with a fireplace it's going to be gas all the way! Whenever I'm in a hotel or restaurant with one I love them...just as cozy, but cleaner and no hassle of cleanup, or dirtying your environment.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I have the same dilemma ... although to be with my family I have to fight the maddening crowds at the airport, wait to see what plans are before I book ticket, only to get up north and kids (family) are just hanging out like every other day😳 or invite me to their relatives house (not my first choice).

I will be traveling home both this week for a special occasion returning 10/22 and then traveling back 11/1 for a family wedding then family get together and return 11/13.  It's really getting expensive & exhausting!

As much as I'd like to say "forget it" about holidays at home I just can't do it my granddaughter would be disappointed.  I offered to pay their way here to the beautiful sunshine and beaches but they work & over $1000 for airfare😳.

I will discuss this with them this week.  Here's the traditional answer "come home we'll figure it out"...nope, I need plans before I buy airline tickets.

Its extremely annoying and Christmas plans are even more complicated! I hate to admit it but holidays are not the same -- they don't seem to be as important to them as it is to me☹️

Plan B:  Thanksgiving the Sunday before and enjoy it with my circle of friends or those here who want to come here & Thanksgiving Day head to beach🌴🌴.   I did this a few years ago and it was relaxing & enjoyable🙂

Respected Contributor

I cook all the traditional food just for me and DH. Our kids and siblings are spread all over the country - nowhere near us. We like it this way. No stress. Now that my Dad is gone and my mother is in a nursing home near my sisters we will spend Chistmas alone also - no stressful traveling to spend Christmas in Florida anymore.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

I have the same dilemma ... although to be with my family I have to fight the maddening crowds at the airport, wait to see what plans are before I book ticket, only to get up north and kids (family) are just hanging out like every other day😳 or invite me to their relatives house (not my first choice).

I will be traveling home both this week for a special occasion returning 10/22 and then traveling back 11/1 for a family wedding then family get together and return 11/13.  It's really getting expensive & exhausting!

As much as I'd like to say "forget it" about holidays at home I just can't do it my granddaughter would be disappointed.  I offered to pay their way here to the beautiful sunshine and beaches but they work & over $1000 for airfare😳.

I will discuss this with them this week.  Here's the traditional answer "come home we'll figure it out"...nope, I need plans before I buy airline tickets.

Its extremely annoying and Christmas plans are even more complicated! I hate to admit it but holidays are not the same -- they don't seem to be as important to them as it is to me☹️

Plan B:  Thanksgiving the Sunday before and enjoy it with my circle of friends or those here who want to come here & Thanksgiving Day head to beach🌴🌴.   I did this a few years ago and it was relaxing & enjoyable🙂

Honestly, though I understand the pull of family obligations, granddaughter etc, your Plan B sounds delightful, relaxing, fun with friends and much less stressful!  ...especially if, with the exception of the grand-daughter, the holidays seem "less important" to the rest of your family. 

Honored Contributor

DH's sister is hosting this year. She's divorced and remodeled the kitchen in her home. It was built in 1934 and has a lot of dark woodwork from that era. Everyone brings a dish. At least 40 people will gather.

Honored Contributor

Family is pretty much non existent...dh's daughter lives in town but our history with Thanksgiving was always to do our own thing...when the kids were little (and they spent that day with their mother) and my parents were alive we always went 'home' to my parents house (several hours away, we spent the weekend)....since they are gone we have usually taken the weekend and gone somewhere, no more than 6-7 hours away.  We have yet to decide what we will do this year.

We have also in the past shared a meal with a friend but now she spends the day with family and we are invited but honestly it's just not fun....a lot of people in a small space and so we have not attended in years. We appreciate the invitation but decline.

Holidays are just not a lot of fun anymore....I could use an attitude adjustement, ha!  I'm not depressed/sad about it...just not enjoyable anymore.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My children live several hours away, so I won't see them at Thanksgiving.  One of my siblings will invite me for dinner, and if the weather is good I will go and we will have fun, as we usually do.

I buy a turkey breast and things to make a few side dishes....so if the weather is bad I will stay home, watch the parades on tv, and fix a nice dinner with lots of leftovers.....and call family in the evening to say hello.

Next day ....Christmas decorating!

I keep an open mind to holidays, and still love them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio   Now, all Thanksgivings are just DH and me, unless DD is able to get home, hasn't been here for that day in years, but she/we prefer she come for Christmas if she can't do both.

I always fix turkey and all of the sides, but I do buy a pumpkin pie for DH, Costco has a good pie.  My favorite food is the stuffing, the extra I bake until crispy, and cranberry sauce made from the recipe on the bag, so I nibble on these during the day as I cook, lol.  We like turkey sandwiches and leftovers for meals during the week, very busy then as that is when I begin Christmas decorating, so only have to heat up the leftovers, works for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We'll have the yard people come put up our outside lights a week or two before Thanksgiving depending on the weather.  They will also assemble our really big tree inside in the front window.

All will be done by Thanksgiving, so that's a quiet at home day for us--but the real start of the holidays. 

Edit:  A decree has been issued by the "queen" about no ladders for said home occupants.  We can afford to have the lights put up; we can't afford hospital bills and pain and suffering of said occupants.