Valued Contributor

Re: So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

After last year’s Thanksgiving, a close friend and I were talking about how each of our turkey days went.  Both of us had successfully cleaned house, shopped, set a holiday table, cooked, served and cleaned up.  We thought we had done our best.

As we continued to chat, we shared how we felt tired,  how the kids are torn between which relative’s dinner to attend, how long we had waited and wondered who was coming, how disappointed we were when someone didn’t show and how we were keeping alive a tradition that no one wanted to take over.  Maybe it was really important to us, and no one else.

So, we are changing it up and giving everyone a break.  We will be sharing the kitchen at her camp and cooking together.  With our husbands, we have invited no family, just friends.

We are having fun planning and are looking forward to having thanksgiving together.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

@rrpellGood for you!   Sounds like it will be a great day for you and your friends and DH.  You are looking forward to it and thats the best thing.  At the least it will give everyone else a taste of "you don't know what you've got til it's gone"  before it's really gone.  Maybe this will get the others to thinking and look at next years Thanksgiving planning with new eyes.

Valued Contributor

@candys mine   I appreciated you took time to write such kind words of support, to me. Thank you!  I hope you have a very happy thanksgiving. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Sister in laws house like we do every year.

Honored Contributor

Last year told our friends no longer physically able to prepare for a big group. Also-  tired of no prior notice but bringing extra people and then some would be late. Friends had a death in the family  first of the year and thenthey started to talk about TG  last month and say things like - We now depend on you to be our Bigmama and need to celebrate TG with you??!!! Considered current price of groceries. Talked with our favorite waitress at Golden Corral and she said the manager will let her prepare area and designated time for our group but everyone be on time and together. Family agreeded. Best deal for me- saving money and not physically and mentally worn out. Focusing on the fellowship and time together since not the same as a home cooked meal.Southern Bee

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Going to my best  friends house for dinner.  One of the things I'm going to make is Paula Deen's Gingerbread Trifle.  Have never tried it before so I hope it's good.  If anyone has made it could you let me know if you liked it?  Reviews are good on Food Network.

Super Contributor

Big and traditional here.  I host and have for the last 10 years.  The only big diff is , we order the meal and pick it up all cooked the day before .  So much easier , takes the stress out of everything.  I still bake the traditional pies, and make apps , 

Respected Contributor

My family is gathering at a nice restaurant that serves a delicious, from scratch turkey or prime rib dinner. I'm looking forward to it. It's been 15 years since we did this. Personally, I'm fine without lefovers.

Honored Contributor

Mrs. Callender's turkey pot pies with sides I fix, sitting in front of the tv..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee