Respected Contributor

Re: So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

This year is really up in the air.  There's talk of going to a thanksgiving Buffet that's a ways away.....But maybe not if the weather is bad.  SO, what to do?  The plan is to get a turkey to cook on the following sunday If we go. I won't know until the day before  if we will or won't go, so  I think I'll get a chicken to have on hand Just in case. 

I'm actually rooting for the eat out option because i have NEVER had thanksgiving  dinner at a restaurant. My curiosity is getting the better of me. We'll still have our own traditional meal on the weekend as it just would not do to NOT have leftovers!

A Happy day and success in the kitchen to All!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio  Why don't you ask your DS and his GF to help you prepare the Thanksgiving meal and help decorate and set the table, etc.? Tell them there will be lots of good food tasting and wine or beer or harvest cocktail or iced tea (or whatever the beverage of choice is). Ask them if they have recipes they would like to try. I wish I would have thought about this a few years ago.

My son is 23, and his girlfriend is just 20. She is kind of tied at the hip to her family, bigger than ours, and they are pretty much demanding her to be at their usual multi house visits on Thanksgiving day, just nobody knows what times etc. So pretty much it looks like Thanksgiving day is out 

My son is doing a friendsgiving day with a bunch of buddies on Sunday. So that leaves Friday and Saturday, and Saturday looks like there might be other plans for some of them too. 

It just isn't worth the effort to fight for a day and especially for 'the' day. 

They are going to be so filled up on big dinners that weekend, I'd be wasting my time, money and effort to try and do a big traditional thing, so why fight it. 

I think the tree trimming party one day  that weekend is going to be the best I will get, and honestly I'm not really upset about  it, and only mildly sad about a non traditional Thanksgiving. It's kind of like if they (the holidays) can't be what they once were, I'd just as soon not try to force it into being something that I'll just be disappointed in. If that makes any sense.

Respected Contributor

I moved back to the East Coast three years ago and have been traveling to family (15-17 hours by car) to spend Thanksgiving with them.  The car ride is looooong and I don't care for it, but it beats living 3000 miles away.  But, this year my sister and mother are coming to my house for Thanksgiving.  It will be the first time hosting Thanksgiving in my new home.

Super Contributor

Our plans for holidays change from year to year.  It all depends on my neice's schedule.  She works several jobs and lives about 3 hours away.  For sure we will get together at my mom's house but when is up in the air.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a small group---me, my sister, couple of friends, brother and his GF, sometimes a couple cousins will join in and we all go out to dinner at this charming restaurant in the Texas Hill Country (nice drive), ....afterwards we all go to my sister's for her homemade dessert (whatever she's in the mood for) and we watch football....and maybe play cards, dominoes, or a fun game....

One time it was just me and my sister and we rented a really neat cottage in the Hill Country, went to a Thanksgiving Buffet and the day after Thanksgiving participated in the little town events....lighting of the Christmas Tree in the Town Square, carolers, ...This little town and all the shops were decorated like a page out of Its A Wonderful Life and Bedford Falls (except no snow) ..there was also live nativity..The shops have such unique and interesting merchandise.....we took all kinds of photos...

It was a really nice fun weekend....so different from the hustle and bustle, the traffic congestion of our large city, and Black Friday hoopla.....which isnt fun....We talked about doing that this year with a couple of friends...but  work schedules might prohibit it.......

Image result for fredericksburg, tx hill country weekend cottage rentals

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My husband and I have a blended/extended family. Years ago I gave up trying to have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and really I didn't mind, as I had cooked that meal for so many years I was tired of doing it, lol. Now, we go to a nice restaurant to eat, I ask around, anyone who isn't otherwise obligated to be somewhere else comes along with us. Sometimes we would walk around afterwards to see whatever sights there were to see in the neighborhood. Sometimes not. I always have dessert made waiting at home, for later. It works for me. This year, I'm not sure what, if anything we will do. Hubby isn't really (or may not be) well enough on any given day to go out, but I'm still not cooking all that food, lol. So, we will play it by ear. If we stay home just the two of us, I'll probably do steaks, baked potato and salad, along with the dessert. If we go out, we will come straight home afterwards I'm sure. Times/things change, I go with the flow. It's not the same, that's for sure. The most fun Thanksgiving I hosted was having 42 people in a kitchen/living/2 bed/1bath house when I was in the midst of getting a divorce. So crowded but that just added to making it so much fun.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I have a 2-part Limbo.

Part 1: Will the in-laws be in the UK or at home and will they be in the UK over Christmas or at home? Those answers will determine if I cook or if we go to their house for dinner.

Part 2: Who will be home for college? If the son away at school comes home, he's flexible. If friends of other son come home, then it depends if THEIR parents are home or away. If away, they'll be at my house and dinner will be here. 

I will know NONE of the answers until early November. That said, once Thanksgiving is figured out, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and Day all fall into place perfectly.

Respected Contributor

My cousin/goddaughter wanted to go to Disney World for her 30th birthday which is a week after Thanksgiving.  Since I am off work the week of Thanksgiving I volunteered to plan a trip that week where my immediate family would go with her and her mother.  I have been to Disney at Thanksgiving before but ate a regular Thanksgiving dinner.  This time we are going to Jaleo which serves Spanish tapas- yum!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I totally get it. You do what you have to do. The older you get you either become more flexible and relaxed or you become rigid and angry. I would opt for flexible and relaxed. It's hard, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I moved back to the East Coast three years ago and have been traveling to family (15-17 hours by car) to spend Thanksgiving with them.  The car ride is looooong and I don't care for it, but it beats living 3000 miles away.  But, this year my sister and mother are coming to my house for Thanksgiving.  It will be the first time hosting Thanksgiving in my new home.

@ScrapHappy  That's great! I'm sure it will be wonderful!