Honored Contributor

So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

I can't get my kid to find out when his girlfriend's family is going to do their thing, so I'm in limbo with Thanksgiving plans this year. If they don't decide soon, I'm going to scrap anything traditional and do something 'rogue' 

If my best girlfriend doesn't have to work that day, we may go out for dinner and a movie. We both like photography so if the day is sunny and bright, maybe a trip down some backroad and take some seasonal photos. 

What are your plans, your ideas, and especially your out of the ordinary kinds of things you've done, plan to do or just thought about doing for the holiday?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So share your Thanksgiving plans/ideas

@Mominohio , rats! 😣

I was just about to plug your address into the Garmin and head down to your place!  I thought for sure you'd be dying to try out your new kitchen!

We've gone rogue, too on many holidays but it seems I prefer to be home more than travel. Up here, the weather is always a big factor on the holidays. We've encountered near blizzards as well as beautiful sunny days.

DS mentioned traveling back home this year so we might if the weather holds out.

Whatever you decide, from our home to yours may it spark some tasty joy!

Honored Contributor

Home, pj's, ham sandwiches, fireplaces lit, enjoying the Christmas decorations.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Mominohio , rats! 😣

I was just about to plug your address into the Garmin and head down to your place!  I thought for sure you'd be dying to try out your new kitchen!

We've gone rogue, too on many holidays but it seems I prefer to be home more than travel. Up here, the weather is always a big factor on the holidays. We've encountered near blizzards as well as beautiful sunny days.

DS mentioned traveling back home this year so we might if the weather holds out.

Whatever you decide, from our home to yours may it spark some tasty joy!

@Snowpuppy 

Hey, come on down! We'll give that kitchen a workout!

I'll (we, geeze my posts here lately make it seem like my husband disappeared! lol) probably do something with kid and his girlfriend another day. Thinking they might be turkeyd out, as I've heard her say they have to go a couple of places for big meals on the same day, so I thought maybe a tree trimming party with pizza or something later that weekend might be fun and different. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Aaahhhh! Fireplace. I haven't had one for 25 years after having one my whole life before. I so miss them. It's more than miss. Its a yearning. I've even thought about having one built here, but I hate to think what that would cost. If we were going to do it, we should have done it when we first bought. Not sure how many more years we'd get to enjoy it for what it would set us back. 

But anyway, enjoy your fireplaces!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   As a single person, I'm typically a nomad on Thanksgiving.  I could end up at my best friend's house or my sister's house.  Either way, I don't have to cook!  BTW, if those two options should fall through, I think I'm within driving distance of your house, right??  Cat Surprised

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Aaahhhh! Fireplace. I haven't had one for 25 years after having one my whole life before. I so miss them. It's more than miss. Its a yearning. I've even thought about having one built here, but I hate to think what that would cost. If we were going to do it, we should have done it when we first bought. Not sure how many more years we'd get to enjoy it for what it would set us back. 

But anyway, enjoy your fireplaces!

@Mominohio We do!  We love them!  They are all gas logs. I wouldn't go back to wood for anything.  What a mess and a bother and as surely as it is a cold bad night you have to go OUT if you want wood!

We had one in the den and in the kitchen at one house and switched them to gas and there's no going back for us!  LOL!!!  Also, critters and snakes LOVE woodpiles. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio : I like your idea about the tree trimming. Extra hands are always welcome for that job!

DS#1 will again host his in-laws- and me- for dinner. He smokes a turkey, so this year I will give him a turkey breast to add to the smoker for me

Also, the usual weekend activities of a little BF shopping and putting up at least 1 of the 2 trees. Last year we had a neighborhood Friendsgiving, which was nice. Maybe we will do that again.

Respected Contributor

I’m still in limbo too. I’d like to host Thanksgiving because I didn’t last year, but I’m not sure what’s going to happen.

My dad’s ladyfriend, who he’s been with for nearly two years, has family nearby so they went there. And the other family members that used to come over had other plans because she got married. So it was just my husband and me and the dogs. I can’t remember what I made, but I do remember missing out on some of my favorite traditional Thanksgiving dishes.

I invited everyone over the next day for beef stroganoff as I knew they all wouldn’t want another turkey dinner.
Respected Contributor

We usually join three or four other couples and their children for Thanksgiving, but the usual hostess didn't mention it when I spoke with her about other things earlier this month.  If we don't have the Friendsgiving, we will stock up on a few favorites and switch the house decor from autumn to holiday.