Valued Contributor

So many Holiday items have glitter falling off everywhere

[ Edited ]

I received so many beautiful QVC glitter holiday items from friends and looked at them again today but now I see why I  cannot display or touch and use them at all.

The glitter is not sealed on any of the items so it sheds into the air and on everything.

It is dangerous because it can be breathed in and affect proper lung function, and trying to clean it makes the glitter airborne so that is also very unhealthy.

All items with any glitter should be sprayed on by the manufacturer, and then a sealer should have also been sprayed  on sealing the glitter in on to the items so the glitter does not shed at all, and therefore cannot come off the glitter holiday items.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So many Holiday items have glitter falling off everywhere

I totally agree - so much glitter that falls off all over the floor, clothes, everything! I've had other items with glitter that did not shed at all. It seems Valerie's items with glitter shed forever. Its a shame because they're so pretty! 

Esteemed Contributor

I also agree!  I won't buy any item that is covered by glitter anymore.  I also think Valerie's items have the most loosely attached glitter. Just getting the item out of the product box and mailing carton can be such a mess!!  Then try to put the batteries in without getting the glitter all over.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for all the glitter.  When I pick up an item, I put it down and look at my hand.  If there is glitter all over my hand, it goes back on the shelf Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

I received so many beautiful QVC glitter holiday items from friends and looked at them again today but now I see why I  cannot display or touch and use them at all.

The glitter is not sealed on any of the items so it sheds into the air and on everything.

It is dangerous because it can be breathed in and affect proper lung function, and trying to clean it makes the glitter airborne so that is also very unhealthy.

All items with any glitter should be sprayed on by the manufacturer, and then a sealer should have also been sprayed  on sealing the glitter in on to the items so the glitter does not shed at all, and therefore cannot come off the glitter holiday items.

Yes, and we should ban ink pens and toothbrushes, because people might poke their eyes out with them. I don’t know how I’ve managed to enjoy decorating for Christmas for all these years without getting lung cancer.

Respected Contributor

I won't buy anything with glitter on it.  It's so messy.  If I get a greeting card with glitter I don't even take it out of the envelope. 

Valued Contributor

Give it time MaryLamb you may  at some point become unfortunate and become a glitter respiratory victim yet.

Respected Contributor

Glitter, while pretty, is a nuisance.  From years of experience, I no longer buy decor, cards, wrapping paper, etc. that have glitter.  It does seem like older items did not "shed" like my more recent purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate the mess of glitter but ordered Valerie’s tree last year when others failed and I needed a slim tree. I opened it on my front stoop with my granddaughter helping because I knew there was glitter.

She helped me fluff the branches and carry it in the living room. We were surprised there wasn’t much glitter on the burgundy orientals. It really glistens like new fallen snow dusting the pine cones and branches. I don’t think it would have the same effect without the glitter.

I was afraid to put it in the hot garage so it’s nestled in my dining room corner until the holidays.

But I won’t knowingly buy more glitter.

Valued Contributor

I'm not worried about glitter for health reasons. That seems to be an easy excuse for everything these days.

But, I do dislike the mess it causes. It gets all over everyting and no matter what and how you try to clean it up, you always find more later. Like those giltter things people used to stick in birthday cards and Christmas cards and when you opened up the card it was an unpleasant surprise. it's just a nuisance. 

That is also the reason flocking on trees hasn't made it's way into my home. It's kind of pretty on the tree, but not so much all over the floor. 

Pretty shouldn't also be messy.