Frequent Contributor

Re: Slatkin or Nest Candles?

I like Antique Candle but definitely recommend bundling when purchasing to reduce cost.  I also like Slatkin, Yankee (3 wick only), and Capri Blue brand.  I buy mostly Slatkin (4 wick).  I do like Woodwick but only when I can get it for a sale price.  

Respected Contributor

One thing to keep in mind is Slatkins candles are made in Asia! Many of us on the boards are only buying SOY candles now poured in the USA.    I simply do not trust the Vietnamese candles.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb wrote:

I've used lots of Slatkin, still have some I'm using up from years ago, fragrance still strong. Loved his fragrances. But, though I followed all the "wiping down of the wick, covering it to put the flame out", as he advices, to "get a clean burn"...they still develop soot on the sides of the jars as they burned. So, if they're sooty there, they are sooty in my air too. 

I use mostly flameless candles now after painting two years ago...trying to keep soot out now...it did develop on my walls in the past. Using up some I still had either out on the deck or in the kitchen that hasn't yet been done over.

Someone mentioned Woodwick...back in the day, Old Virginia Candle,  (THEY burned CLEAN...still miss that brand), used to have a line of Woodwick. I don't know if another company bought just that line but there are still Woodwick candles out there, and I've used them. Nice crackling, just like you have a fireplace burning. I got some pretty ones (before the paint job) that were elongated glass jars with 3 wicks, very nice...but they do get sooty also.

@Suzy Q from PA those Aldi ones sound nice.

i have been using a tart burner for years.....scent...but no flame.....love it....

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@amyb wrote:

I've used lots of Slatkin, still have some I'm using up from years ago, fragrance still strong. Loved his fragrances. But, though I followed all the "wiping down of the wick, covering it to put the flame out", as he advices, to "get a clean burn"...they still develop soot on the sides of the jars as they burned. So, if they're sooty there, they are sooty in my air too. 

I use mostly flameless candles now after painting two years ago...trying to keep soot out now...it did develop on my walls in the past. Using up some I still had either out on the deck or in the kitchen that hasn't yet been done over.

Someone mentioned Woodwick...back in the day, Old Virginia Candle,  (THEY burned CLEAN...still miss that brand), used to have a line of Woodwick. I don't know if another company bought just that line but there are still Woodwick candles out there, and I've used them. Nice crackling, just like you have a fireplace burning. I got some pretty ones (before the paint job) that were elongated glass jars with 3 wicks, very nice...but they do get sooty also.

@Suzy Q from PA those Aldi ones sound nice.

i have been using a tart burner for years.....scent...but no flame.....love it....

@nana59   I love the wax melts from Aldi. They are under $2 and smell wonderful.

Respected Contributor

Slatkin/Homeworx is the BEST!

Honored Contributor

I have burned both, and Nest makes a wonderful scent this time of year called Holiday-smells fabulous and burns very nice!

I also love Slatkin/Homeworx as well-he has a ton of different sccents.

Nest has some very nice scents and not as large of a collection as Slatkin, but they are definitely pricier!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

I buy the Nest candle called Holiday every year. It smells so good and makes me smile. They are expensive but smell wonderful. I also enjoy the Thymes brand called Frasier Fir. It smells authentic and does not smell like a chemical scent that I smell in some lesser quality candles.