Respected Contributor

Re: Slatkin Candles Question

I love Harry's candles. They burn properly (don't pool or drown), his wicks don't spit out black smoke, & most the scents are spectacular. I say "most", because I much prefer his Fall/Winter or foodie scents to the Spring/Summer scents. 

When Harry sold at B&BW, the store also sold other candle makers. After he left, some scents were still good, but they burned HORRIBLY! Every single candle I purchased would drown in a pool of wax each time it was lit. Then they made the cruddy candles a smaller size, so that was it for me. I haven't shopped there since. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

@AKgirl2, if they had QVC Russia, you could order from them and get the normal shipping rate.  The shipping cost you quoted for candles is ridiculous.  I like Slatkin products, but that's way too much.

@AuntG ~ I hear you...Russia's a stones throw away!   Divided by the Bering Straight, at the narrowest point, it's about 55 miles.  I agree about the shipping charge, sad to say that's for most items, unless free shipping is offered.  It really **sses me off.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandy77 wrote:

I've never used Slatkin candles and am very tempted to try them, the scents sound wonderful and I would love to have some scented candles again, but I'm curious about something,  last year I had Ellen's candles, she said these were made by Nest, which I've heard is owned by Harry Slatkin's wife. Those candles were a huge disappointment, hardly any fragrance even standing right over them. I've also been disappointed in the quality of Yankee Candles over the last several years, the scent just doesn't seem to last or go very far. Are Harry Slatkin's candles really better? Do they have a good, strong scent that really fills a room?

@brandy77,  I am not one who buys candles often or from a huge variety of sources, so please take this FWIW.   I think something must have gone wrong (either manufacturing-wise, or by skimping to cheapen the QVC product?) with the candles Nest made for Ellen's line. 

I own one "real" Nest 8oz candle, bought a couple of years ago.  It is the strongest scented candle I've ever owned or smelled, it burns beautifully, and it has really soft wax.  Even if I don't burn it, it will scent the whole kitchen if left sitting out.  The problem is that I ordered it online without smelling, and I very much dislike the smell.  That is my fault, though, not a flaw with the candle.  It is Wild Oats & Bourbon scented.  I can't handle it, so I will keep it boxed up and tucked into a cabinet until someone comes along who loves it, and then it's their's.

Next in order of scent strength to my nose is Swan Creek brand.  I am very impressed with the few scents I've tried from SC.  I experienced a lot of soot, though, and ended up scooping and melting the candle wax in electric warmers.  I did not order the candles directly from Swan Creek, but from Cape Candle, so that does leave room for the possibility that I got bad or reject candles sent to me.  Others have commented that they do not experience soot with this brand.  I won't give up on SC, but next time I'll order straight from SC's website.  The candles I bought were huge, so I'm still using up their wax a little at a time.

Next in order of scent strength to me is Slatkin & Co. candles which were sold at Bath and Body Works and QVC in 2011.  All that I bought had lovely and strong scents, even though some I couldn't tolerate due to my sensitive nose, but again, that's not the fault of the candles.  Note:  Two of my scents from 2011 had severe drowning wicks:  Creamy Pumpkin and Creamy Nutmeg.  The rest burned nicely. 

Next in scent strength to me is Woodwick along with their discontinued line called Old Virginia Candles

I am hoping that the new Homeworx Harry Slatkin candle wax will be similar to the soft wax of the Nest line.  If so, I think they should burn well and scent the majority of the house.  I have a total of seven 3-wick candles on order, including the one that comes with the gingerbread house.  That is a huge investment for me so I hope he is sincere when he says that these formulas are his best yet. 

Sorry it turned into a novel.  HTH.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think the formula used for the ED on Air candles, which were supposed to be Nest, were the same formula as the true Nest candles.  While I never purchased any of the ED candles, I am an avid purchaser of Nest candles from their own website.  I can say for sure that the reviews I've read if the ED candles are certainly not reflective of the quality I've experienced from the real Nest candles.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I ordered some of the three wick candles, and I've been going back and forth about it ever since mainly because of the expense and being unfamilar with his products, but I think I'll take a chance and keep my orders open and hope for the best. The holiday season is always hard for me, I have treatment resistant depression that always seems worse around that time of year, and good scented candles sometimes seem to help, I guess I find them comforting, so I'm hoping Mr. Slatkin's candles will be a good investment for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandy77, I hope you are able to experience a happy and peaceful holiday this year.  :-)

Frequent Contributor

@SHOPR Thank you very much, I wish the same for you and everyone here.