Valued Contributor

Re: Since this forum has slowed down after Christmas

@mousiegirl  Mine is a green tree and not too heavily flocked.  It is the white tips that gave me the pastel color that I object to.

I worked with that tree like crazy.  I lit the inside, bought a ton of new bulbs, wrapped a ribbon around it, used picks, and it was all to no avail.  I just couldn't get an effect that I liked for my own personal taste.

My daughter raved about it.  She can have it if she is sincere in wanting it.  I'm going for the fattest, tallest, greenest tree I can fine next year!

Your white and red tree sounds lovely.  Do you keep it up through Valentine's Day or does it come down after Christmas?  I can see where you could do either one.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

@mousiegirl  Mine is a green tree and not too heavily flocked.  It is the white tips that gave me the pastel color that I object to.

I worked with that tree like crazy.  I lit the inside, bought a ton of new bulbs, wrapped a ribbon around it, used picks, and it was all to no avail.  I just couldn't get an effect that I liked for my own personal taste.

My daughter raved about it.  She can have it if she is sincere in wanting it.  I'm going for the fattest, tallest, greenest tree I can fine next year!

Your white and red tree sounds lovely.  Do you keep it up through Valentine's Day or does it come down after Christmas?  I can see where you could do either one.

@Oostende  The white and red tree, with clear lights, stays up all year in the "red" room, my room, formerly the family room, and no one goes in there but me.

I have a green frosted tree, bought here, with multi lights, which usually is decorated with gingerbread men and candy, in the kitchen, but this year, I decorated in silver and it was stunning, though I had worried that the silver theme would not look good with multi lights.

The living room is always green with vintage looking ornaments, but this year I decorated with real vintage ornaments, all striped balls as I remember from childhood.  Instead of using tinsel icicles, I used silver and silver mercury glass icicles, with the old fashioned multi lights which I always have on the living room tree.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The true meaning of what the Christmas Celebration sygnifies: 

To honor and remember the true meaning of the birth of Jesus Christ, and the giving of Christmas gifts exists because of the three wise men who also brought baby Jesus Christ gifts of frankincense, myrrh, and gold.   

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl That sounds just beautiful!  I'm sure it's a pleasure going into that room.

Esteemed Contributor

This year I cut down buying gifts for the kids in their 20's....we were basically exchanging gift cards and was so glad we did...

Next year I am cutting down on the baking. I will keep it to the 3 favorite kinds and thats it.

I LOVE to decorate and I will keep doing my big Christmas village under the tree as long as I am able.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I have loved reading through this thread!  Contrary to some other posts, my holidays have become more busy, rather than less busy. This year we had 16 people (kids and grandkids) at our house for 5 days! Next year I will make more casseroles to freeze and be ready for the oven at any given time. I will assign children to be in charge of breakfasts an possibly lunches. Also, I'll start to get into better physical shape ahead of time. I got sick two days after they left and am still coughing. I wouldn't give up their visit for anything, but I have to be better prepared.

Respected Contributor

I learned that I love, love colored lights on a tree. I haven't decorated with colored lights in  over thirty years but I decorated our family room tree with colored lights and I was just enchanted. It was magical to me and took me back to my childhood.

The other three trees were clear lights but I was so surprised at my reaction/feelings towards the colored lights.