Honored Contributor

Re: Since this forum has slowed down after Christmas

@stevieb What good advice about accepting Christmas (holidays in general) for what they are now.  We can have our memories, but can never go back to that time and do need to remember to enjoy what we have now and what family we have now, that our kids are grown and that brings a different kind of joy seeing them with their family, etc.  This was such good advice and I intend to remember it for all the holidays and actually for all days.   Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee Glad that you find it a helpful suggestion. I fear that like many other folks, I've spent too much energy sort of missing what was, but over the past few years have now, gratefully, arrived at a different place... I think many of us will always look back and wish, but our focus needs to be not on what was, but on what is... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs-

Wait! Can you make one for me?! They sound so good and such a sweet gift!

I would definitely appreciate that and miss it too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay, I'd be happy to...if only we were closer in miles!

Honored Contributor

I thought I finally had a good plan for Christmas.  Due to things happening in my sister's life, I've had to take over Christmas for her two teenagers.  I went from buying few gifts, to buying many more gifts. I need a better plan for next year.  By nature, I am a very organized person.  This year, nobody would have guessed that. LOL.  The family lives in another state, so I have to travel to them.  I learned I need to keep my notebook with me and write everything down.  I don't do cookies, but perhaps I should start.  Many things to ponder, so next year goes smoother.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

Interesting that these are the exact things our family discovered this holiday season. It seems everyone has their own special likes and dislikes (and always have, but good manners kept our mouths shut) and now we feel it is ok to express our desires.

I am not being critical, but suggesting that it is probably very appropriate for the times we live in. Why keep purchasing things or spending money to make food that people really aren't interested in? 

i guess i was ahead of my time. while i mother raised me right, probably 20 years ago, i told her that i just wasn't into it any more. was tired of shopping for people i only saw at xmas, cooking, cleaning etc. she laughed and said thank you, 'cause she was tired of it also. the next year we took a cruise at xmas, then another year we went to the bahamas - anything but stay home and work (smile). one year we drove to the poconos just to get a reuben sandwich on xmas day that my mother loved.

today, i think people are just way passed stressed, between jobs, kids needing to be in 3 places at the same time, traffic, cost of living going up and up, etc. for many, it is just a bit much to add big shopping and cooking to an already hectic life. i think people that work, really only enjoy xmas when it falls on the weekend and have the next day off, without having to take their own time, if that makes sense.

for a long time, i had said that most companies should close from xmas eve thru the jan 1st, to give people time to actually "enjoy" the holidays, opposed to rushing through it. and yes, this time should be just one long paid holiday. it's the least they could do.

Respected Contributor

Good post @Mominohio. Last year I was so ill by Dec 24 I missed out on actually celebrating. This has happened too many times; I knew I had to change something. This was the first year in many that I did not get sick over the holidays because I decided to simplify.

I made sure there was plenty of food and that the gifts were selected for immediate family, and then let a lot of other things just unfold and went with the flow. This approach worked just fine. 

I lightened up on the decor; it felt like Christmas had arrived but the house was still open and airy. Decorating every surface gets claustrophobic for me. It took less than 2 hours to get everything put away. My days of bountiful decor have given way to a quieter look.

I’ve always spent a lot of time making too much food and this year did a sanity check. We had the full blown meal for Thanksgiving, so everyone was good with simplifying the Christmas menu. If people offer to help, let them! 

I am lucky that I have a harmonious family, immediate and extended, and there is no drama or competition. We have never kept score on who gives what to whom and if a sibling shows up with gifts one year and none the next, it’s all good. We just enjoy spending time together. My children are happy with whatever I can do. They are not greedy or demanding. Those relationships are my true gift and blessing.

Honored Contributor

I don't know that I learned a whole lot this Christmas.  Mostly things from past Christmas  times were just reinforced.  

Most important to me has always been sharing this holiday with loved ones.  It's never been about expensive gifts, fancy parties or big celebrations with tons of people.  I have always just valued the times with immediate family members, sharing a simple meal and reminiscing about the good Christmas experiences we had with each other in the past.

I lost my father many years ago and recently lost my mother, so holidays have been bitter sweet.  However, I have my husband and we have made many happy memories of our own.  

Our holidays are much quieter now, but we both are blessed in that we have wonderful memories of the holidays that we shared with family members who have passed on.

Big or small, fancy or simple --- it doesn't matter.  Whatever makes you happy!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

@Mominohio I didn't put up my usual amount of Christmas stuff this year due to surgery, and I missed seeing it all.  It's like getting together with old friends.  However, I did decide that starting in August I am going through my stuff and trying to downsize more.  I also discovered that it's best to pace yourself with the Egg Nog when mixing it with family! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've learned that I enjoy the holidays much more if I can disregard the manufactured hype and urgency that we get bombarded with starting in October.

Holiday baking is something I don't relish.  This is an expectation placed upon me by my husband because that is what his mother did and sisters do.   So I learned this past year it is just easier to not fight it and bake a few items.  It makes him happy that in turn keeps me happier.

Each year there is the mind searching for a dish to take to the family gathering.  Then comes the disappointment when the food you take is barely touched because there are too many other items.  I'm done.  We have decided for next year we will provide the sliced ham, sandwich buns and condiment tray.

I have learned my aversion to a Christmas tree with colored lights was unfounded.  Our new tree with the multi function 3000 lights has changed my mind forever.  Even without the 550 ornaments it is beautiful on its own.