Honored Contributor

Since this forum has slowed down after Christmas

I thought some might like to share what they learned or experienced this holiday season, that will lead them to making changes in the future for anything from shopping/wrapping to decorating to food related traditions to events attending etc. 

Most of the people we had exchanged gifts with over the years have slowly faded away from exchanging, the few remaining requested it to stop this year. I now know I have no need for any wrapping paper/gift bags/ribbons/bows/tags of any kind. I have a huge supply organized in the basement, and I went through and got rid of a portion early in the season when it was clear we wouldn't be gifting much anymore, and it is evident I need to pare down even further. 

I learned that the people I bake for have specific requests for certain things they like the best, and don't care if I make the other things or not (not everyone's requests are the same, but a few things, everyone likes, but all said if those particular things weren't there, they'd be ok with it, while other things were non negotiable, and 'necessary'!). I won't be wasting my time with those few things anymore, or at least for a few years and see if anyone notices, or comments about missing them over time. Less time, less work less money spent on ingredients, and recipients just as happy as long as those requested items are still there!

I learned that for the foreseeable future, I don't need or want to mess with more than one tree anymore. I don't know if that might change should grandkids ever come into the picture, but for now, not enough traffic through the house for anyone to notice/enjoy more than one tree. 

Share somethings you learned/discovered/decided about your future holiday plans, based on experiences this past season.

Honored Contributor

Re: Since this forum has slowed down after Christmas

I learned for sure not to look to others for a good holiday.  Our family has been gone for a number of years now, and it's just my husband and I.

The holidays are still the holidays with just us and that's fine.  We enjoy them so much.  We go to a few events, have friends over sometimes, enjoy the lights and the festivities throughout the month, cook a few special things for us and then do what we want on Christmas Eve, day and New Year's.  

This is mostly a family time, and we do not want or need to be with other families.  We can do that any time.  We are happy to have us, our own blessings and memories and delighted to spend relaxed holidays our own way.    It is what we make it. 

Outside lights, trees, gifts or not, big meals or a sandwich, it's all good. 

Super Contributor

Interesting that these are the exact things our family discovered this holiday season. It seems everyone has their own special likes and dislikes (and always have, but good manners kept our mouths shut) and now we feel it is ok to express our desires.

I am not being critical, but suggesting that it is probably very appropriate for the times we live in. Why keep purchasing things or spending money to make food that people really aren't interested in? 

Honored Contributor

My gift list has gotten pretty small compared to years ago.  I also have a huge supply of ribbons, wrapping paper, etc.  Use mostly the gift bags and those that go to my immediate family we reuse over and over.   I enjoy sending cards and will continue.  I was surprised that I did receive cards this year from everyone I sent to.  I know many people have cut out sending cards.   I have Christmas Eve at my home with my children.  This year I only put up one tree and the grandkids didn't even notice I no longer had the little "kids" tree.  
After reading all the comments here, I did not do any baking for anyone other than my Christmas Eve company.  Guess most of the "baked gifts" are thrown away according to many posters here.  I always shop early and throughout the year if I see something appropriate and at a good price.  I wrapped most of my gifts the day after Thanksgiving so it was nice to have most of that done.  I prepared too much food for Christmas Eve and have a note to cut back next year.  I sent my kids home with a lot of it as it is just me and I had a lot leftover.      I guess my main plan is to do things as early as possible so there is no rush.  

Honored Contributor

I learned that I can do nicely with fewer decorations. I had a smaller tree and it was lovely. There wasn’t as much to take down, and it was accomplished in no time . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I've learned is really over the past several years and it's not specifically about menus, decorations or wrapping presents... It's to accept Christmas for what it is now... It's fine to give fleeting thought to what it once was but not to dwell on it to the point of becoming maudlin... It's fine to miss times gone by, but not, so much, to obsess about how it 'used to be'... I had a very simple Christmas this year, just a few gifts exchanged, a very pretty tree but few other decorations, made do with the few rolls of wrapping paper on hand and enjoyed a tasty but not elaborate meal. It was fine... Comparing Christmas, or life in general for that matter, to what it once was serves no real, positive or useful purpose... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

As a few posters have mentioned, in time the gift list shrinks down.  The need to over do the cooking, inviting and decorating pales: fewer folks to attend compared to the past.  Energy levels shrink too !

This holiday season was quite different from any before:  DH suffered the first attack of A-Fib which lasted for almost a month....the shortness of breath was unbelievable in someone who regularly exercised 6 days/week.  Serious testing was done on an out-patient basis twice in the hospital.  Meds were quadrupled and he lost 15 lbs. of fluid.  He has now enjoyed 7 days free from the shortness but still with the arrhythmic pulse of A-Fib.  Another TEE test will be scheduled to see about the blood clot.

Over the last few years we have concentrated on private celebrations of holidays, even our 50th anniversary.  Whether a feast or a casual meal, we enjoyed them immensely.  Once when a couple canceled a dinner reservation, I jokingly said “ Well, you’re stuck with me tonight “.  His response: I am always happy when I am with you.    He is definitely a keeper !

From heavy duty decorating, we have down sized tremendously.  Some of you may remember some of these photos:

3DFE7A91-AA27-47FB-AAFE-A49DE3F4D3F8.jpeg

A8483BA3-FEE6-47F2-B69E-2D4A41910DE5.jpeg

60021476-278B-4ECA-A36D-6D2CA3B1CEC2.jpeg

56F29C9E-B59E-4FC9-9C86-6085CD16148E.jpeg

013D69CE-E2FB-47B0-91AA-C56EFDA84167.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

One of the simple pleasures we’ve rediscovered is driving through our community and checking out the Christmas lights. Some are ostentatious, while others are more subdued and classic. Either way, it’s a nice way to spend an hour on a lazy Winter evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Two of the biggest holidays are only approx 30 days apart.  Thanksgiving gets family/friends together after a stretch of time and then it's time to do it all over again.  Perhaps not with the same people; but planning another feast - decorating, etc.  Lots of work and lots of tired women!. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Two of the biggest holidays are only approx 30 days apart.  Thanksgiving gets family/friends together after a stretch of time and then it's time to do it all over again.  Perhaps not with the same people; but planning another feast - decorating, etc.  Lots of work and lots of tired women!. 

I've often wished Christmas was universally observed on the 'Orthodox' date (or later), so that all the 'festivities' weren't all at once and then, BAM, they're over... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...