Respected Contributor

For the record I am not offended by "Happy Holidays" I am offended by the fact that we as Christians are not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" because it might offend someone else, therefore say, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays together. Problem solved...Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

A clerk in one of the stores told me that if they aren't allowed to say, "Merry Christmas", then she will say "Happy Birthday, Jesus".

there you go!  I like it.

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

How sad is that.

?

@MominohioThat we even have to thank someone for saying "Merry Xmas." 

@sparklestar

Ok, I get it now! I agree. Sad that it has come to the point where hearing that phrase is uncommon. 

I don't begrudge any holiday greeting. I'm not offended by 'Happy Holidays', Season's Greetings, or any other phrase. I am offended that for awhile, business in particular thought they had to drop that and substitute more secular greetings only.

There is room for it all, and each individual should be saying any and all greetings they find applicable, including not being afraid to use "Merry Christmas"!

Trusted Contributor

It's funny to me when people get offended by "Merry Christmas."  To me, that's kind of like getting offended if someone says "Happy Birthday" to someone else in the room, just because it's not YOUR birthday.  

Also, I think it's funny when people get offended when others say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."  To me, that's kind of like getting offended if someone says "Have a nice day" instead of "Happy Birthday" when it's your birthday.  Not everyone knows it's your birthday, so you should at least be happy they're wishing you the best.  

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

It's funny to me when people get offended by "Merry Christmas."  To me, that's kind of like getting offended if someone says "Happy Birthday" to someone else in the room, just because it's not YOUR birthday.  

Also, I think it's funny when people get offended when others say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."  To me, that's kind of like getting offended if someone says "Have a nice day" instead of "Happy Birthday" when it's your birthday.  Not everyone knows it's your birthday, so you should at least be happy they're wishing you the best.  

@RazorSharp  It would be like a religion than does not celebrate birthdays demanding that "Happy Birthday"  not  be allowed to be said in public any more. 

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

How sad is that.

?

@sparklestar

Ok, I get it now! I agree. Sad that it has come to the point where hearing that phrase is uncommon. 

I don't begrudge any holiday greeting. I'm not offended by 'Happy Holidays', Season's Greetings, or any other phrase. I am offended that for awhile, business in particular thought they had to drop that and substitute more secular greetings only.

There is room for it all, and each individual should be saying any and all greetings they find applicable, including not being afraid to use "Merry Christmas"!

Agreed.  Every holiday, whether it be Xmas, Halloween, Easter, etc. I decorate my cubicle.  We were told very strongly that it's advised NOT to put up decorations because we might offend.  Well I'm offended by that.  I will continue to do so. 

Respected Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

How sad is that.

?

@sparklestar

Agreed.  Every holiday, whether it be Xmas, Halloween, Easter, etc. I decorate my cubicle.  We were told very strongly that it's advised NOT to put up decorations because we might offend.  Well I'm offended by that.  I will continue to do so. 

@sparklestar And you should..Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Trusted Contributor

I am not among the "chronically offended" but yea I was offended last year when I put "Happy Holidays" and some holier then thou became offended and told me "ITS MERRY CHRISTMAS DO YOU HEAR ME?" yup they shouted sorry for the caps. And then proceeded to tell me about their baby in a manger story and bla bla and I put them quickly in their place. No I do not celebrate Christmas, am not of that belief system and I dont care what someone says if it is nice to me. I just dont tolerate getting reamed out for same thing others are complaining about here so I guess the offense can be both ways. Just sayin. Celebrate your holiday and it doesnt offend me....but DO NOT correct me for not saying same greeting. Just be happy I say something nice.

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar, I am not offended by Happy Holidays, but I do say Merry Christmas, but what I am offended by is when I see people write Xmas  .......  you are taking "Christ" out of Christmas!Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@sparklestar, I am not offended by Happy Holidays, but I do say Merry Christmas, but what I am offended by is when I see people write Xmas  .......  you are taking "Christ" out of Christmas!Smiley Sad

No I'm not.  It's just an abbreviation.