Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share a family holiday tradition that you love!

When DS was in pre-school we would make a paper  chain to hang on the back of the front door. Being too little to read the calendar, we would make 24 chain loops from construction paper and link them together with glue. Then attach them to a paper bell at the top. Each day he'd come home from pre-school or kindergarden he'd pull off 1 loop. When the last loop was done.....it was Christmas Eve!!

My favorite....not only did we bake Santa cookies with a cup of hot cocoa, we left Rudolph an apple. Oh, and a note that said Thank You Santa for thinking about us and stopping by!

Honored Contributor

We get together with my DH side of the family on Christmas Eve. We eat, talk, exchange gifts. Family is getting smaller and sometimes not everyone is able to make it, due to other family obligations. But we those of us who can, have a good time.

Honored Contributor

Love drinking sauterne wine (very, very dry) with turkey dinner.  Mom's turkey recipe is always savory and moist... and the go-withs too! 

The table was set with china and silver... loved this.

Our family needs to re-start this tradition.

PS... I would NEVER drink this dry wine with anything else... it just wouldn't work!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite holiday traditions is singing Christmas carols.  In years past, a group from my church would visit nursing homes or neighborhoods that requested a visit and we would sing their favorite songs of Christmas.  Afterwards, we'd retreat to a local restaurant for hot chocolate or coffee and a time of fellowship.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

It's not that we do anything totally wow or special in and of itself; what makes it special is that it's done every year. I have to make mandarin orange muffins with sugar cinnamon topping, the stockings must include a box of rice candy, the littlest ones put the special napkins at each place setting, the now 35-year old poinsettia bowl that lights up is prominently placed by the fireplace, and all the old ornaments are oohed and awed at as each is unwrapped. My family could probably name a few gifts from past years, but all the above is not to be messed with! 

Super Contributor

Just a thought to share.  When my husband and I went for premarital counseling many moons ago in order to get started on the right track, the psychologist stated that traditions can go a long way in keeping marriages and families intact.  He encouraged us to create new traditions, or incorporate the old from each side of the family into our lives and said it is good for mental health, as well.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

I will indeed.  Around this time next month....lol   It's much, much to early in the year to discuss the holidays.  I dont like wishing my life away.  Right now, I'm enjoying this glorius fall weather we are having.  When I came to work this morning; I was astounded by how bright the folliage is this years.  It was breathtaking; all those brilliant reds, golds, oranges and it's only just begun.  There will be a time for Christmas talk but (for me) now is not that time.     

Trusted Contributor

Russian Orthodox Christmas Eve dinner always held memorable traditions at my grandparent's home.  My grandmother would set the dining room table by putting a layer of hay between two simple, white tableclothes, then cover it with a beautiful lace one.  She always had beautiful tablescapes, but we also had to have a dish with salt and garlic cloves and a bowl of honey. We ate every course out of the same bowl, and those courses included a dish called Keselitsa -pronounced KESS-o-LITCH-ah (which is a concotion of fermented oatmeal, yeast and caraway seed), Sauerkraut with Peas (adorned with boiled potatoes), Mushroom soup, Whiting, and Pierogi stuffed with various fillings including potatoe and cheese, cabbage, and prunes.  We always toasted with red wine, and my father always had to prove he was a tough guy by eating one of the garlic cloves (stepmom wasn't thrilled).  After dinner, we would go to church, then after church the house would fill with more relatives and my grandfather's employees, and a party began.  About a hundred people would flood the three levels of the home.  The reset dining room table was filled with towers of shrimp, silver chafing dishes filled with meatballs, cabbage and noodles, stuffed murshrooms, more pierogies, and an array of homemade baked goods, including my favorite, Aunt Millie's Chrusciki.  This was quite the spectacular event.  At midnight, cousin Jerry would show up dressed as Santa Clause and hand out gifts to all the party guests which usually included cigars for the men and little poupourri sachets for the women. I would dress like an elf (so embarassing) and help him hand out the gifts.  With sleepy eyes, grandma would tell me to "climb the wooden hill" and go upstairs to sleep.  I would drift off with the sounds of laughter and hi-ball glasses clinkng, and the anticipation of opening presents under the tree the next morning.

Honored Contributor

Our Thanksgiving tradition is kind of silly but it's our tradition and we won't deviate.  After we've had dinner and dessert, we all sit around with the Black Friday ads, talk about gifts, look at the ads, those that are going discuss what they must have and make a shopping plan. 

We had 2 losses in our family this year that is going to make our holidays different so we are looking at forming new traditions but we won't let the above go.

But hopefully our new tradition will include us being able to go to one house only on x-mas day rather than 2 and feeling like we have too little time at each.   

Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:

Just a thought to share.  When my husband and I went for premarital counseling many moons ago in order to get started on the right track, the psychologist stated that traditions can go a long way in keeping marriages and families intact.  He encouraged us to create new traditions, or incorporate the old from each side of the family into our lives and said it is good for mental health, as well.

This is very wise, and great advice to give any young couple starting out. Love it.