Honored Contributor

Re: Seasonal decorating......

It's 100° outside.........and I just spent 2 hours decorating my front yard for Halloween....!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

It's hard for me to say how long it takes because I do it gradually.   I have an open floor plan so I do a little in my kitchen, DR and family room.  I'll replace what plant are in each bathroom and our bedroom with fall foilage and that's it.  I'll put a fall wreath on the front door and some pumpkins outside.  I don't put everything I have out anymore. 

Respected Contributor

My mood, when decorating, determines how long it will take me. I used to rush, rush everything but not anymore......I take my time and enjoy the process. I believe good design or just plain placement evolves. 

I haven't started my Fall decorating as of yet.....I don't seem to be as interested this year as usual. I'm sure once I start.....everything will work out. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to and find myself hesitant to remove my spring/summer things which give me such a sense of peace in our home......I love the softness of Spring.

I will most likely go all out for Christmas....I usually do. But.......2020 is different in everything...... so we shall see.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi 

here when I did it over the weekend it was 92 degrees and hot hot hot ... 

what was I thinking!!  But, I'm enjoying seeing it at night all lit up -- and this week has been rainy overcast so the sensors are coming on earlier.

After I put it up I noticed several other people in the complex started putting the Fall decor out -- looks so nice!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   You probably don't want to hear from me as I have mentioned how long it takes me, lol.  Because I have to go up and downstairs with a lot of decor, and because I have chores to take care of, etc., etc., it takes me weeks to get seasonal decor in place.  Just the floral arrangements can take over a week, as I make many, and each stem has to be placed one at a time, but I enjoy it, very creative for me.  If we ever move, it will be to a one story house, lol.

I rotate decor, but I am thinking you don't.  In this way, I never get bored, and I can use all of my decor, just not all in one year, depends on the themes and what I feel like.

I am giving DD some decor, gradually as she doesn't have much room, and some I have donated, not Valerie's items, and not much.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

My mood, when decorating, determines how long it will take me. I used to rush, rush everything but not anymore......I take my time and enjoy the process. I believe good design or just plain placement evolves. 

I haven't started my Fall decorating as of yet.....I don't seem to be as interested this year as usual. I'm sure once I start.....everything will work out. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to and find myself hesitant to remove my spring/summer things which give me such a sense of peace in our home......I love the softness of Spring.

I will most likely go all out for Christmas....I usually do. But.......2020 is different in everything...... so we shall see.

@Regal Bee   When it is time to remove one season's decor, I am sad, but as I begin decorating for the next season, I become energized and motivated and love it as well.

Respected Contributor

I replied in another thread that I am leaning toward more restraint in my decorating. To that end, I donated probably 2⁄3 of my fall decorations. Down to one medium tub. It took me 30 minutes tops to put up my fall decor on my mantle and buffet including a good cleaning. Outside I hung a wreath in the covered entry and added a mosaic pumpkin on the stand that anchors the other side of the entry. Done.

I don't decorate every room for Christmas. I certainly have enough stuff to do so! I decorate the living and dining area. My goal is two-three hours, not counting the time it takes to unwrap and decide what to use, and put the totes back in storage. The tree is a separate task. I do enjoy the process. It's still a joyful task with the anticipation of creating something pretty. My goal is for my decor to be celebratory yet not overwhelming. I don't want Christmas decor to take over my space and dominate everything. I want to be able to navigate my house without knocking something over or tracking glitter everywhere. I need a surface to park my coffee mug! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  It just takes me an afternoon to do my Fall decorating. Christmas, on the other hand, is a different story. My tree takes me 2 or 3 days. I'm one of those hang an ornament, stand back, adjust, hang another ornament, kind of person. Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

As I mentioned in another post I stated for same reasons -- my life has "dramatically" changed since February.  Now, between COVID and him being ill it's just us.  I highly doubt the gatherings of years past will happen this year -- if it does, I'd welcome it! 

Last year I did decorate because my kids, GD & family came and I don't have this normally.  They came here vs me going home -- funny thing (or maybe sad thing) no one even "noticed" inside decor yet they liked my outside.

Normally, I take "endless hours" to do change out hutch, buffet, kitchen and living areas now finding a "less is more" "keeping it simple" easy decor is what I'm wanting.

I had ordered a few pieces of VPH including the TSV lantern & large wire pumpkin -- they are still sitting in the boxes unopened.

I don't know why but my "decorating mood" isn't kicking in🤷‍♀️

I packed away pieces I wanted to keep and put a box together for the local Women's shelter for displaced families.  They will get more enjoyment out of it than me now🙂🙂.

Christmas decor is going to be the same -- easy & simple.  I hope to go home if things are better.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy decorating....now that I am retired, I change things up instead of putting up things in the same places every year....