Valued Contributor

Santa's Best TSV -- Thoughts?

I'm dying to hear what everyone thinks of the TSV Trees -- I'm thinking Big, Beautiful and Expensive!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Santa's Best TSV -- Thoughts?

So I looked at the online demo of the flocked tree assembly and there is this strange dark gap in the front. Maybe the branches need to be arranged?

I  compared the 6.5' flocked tree to a 6.5' Balsam Hill tree. The Balsam Hill has 3x the tips but far fewer lights at 700.

Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven Same here.  Our ten year old tree (Bethlehem Lights) is on its last leg.  We shopped last Fall for a replacement, but were disappointed with selection in the B&M stores, and ones we liked from on line stores were sold out.  That experience has really made me skiddish.  

All the options are nice, but I want a tree that is going to last for many seasons without issues.  Perhaps that is wishful thinking with today's manufacturing.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Beauty Maven Same here.  Our ten year old tree (Bethlehem Lights) is on its last leg.  We shopped last Fall for a replacement, but were disappointed with selection in the B&M stores, and ones we liked from on line stores were sold out.  That experience has really made me skiddish.  

All the options are nice, but I want a tree that is going to last for many seasons without issues.  Perhaps that is wishful thinking with today's manufacturing.

I'm in the same boat @Allegheny

We have a tree that needs replaced. I have been waiting on a good color changing one, as we would love to have white lights sometimes, colored ones other times. 

This TSV is tempting, but I am concerned that the more bells and whistles these trees have, the shorter their life span will be as they will malfunction easily. 

I want all this cool technology, but I think I care about it being beautiful and lasting longer more than that.

Honored Contributor

We lost our tree to a flooded basement earlier this year so we are looking for a new one. We have never had a prelit tree before. We looked at them in stores and didn’t like them - couldn’t find one with full branches & enough lights. I also looked at other online retailers. I like the amount of lights on this TSV, but I also noticed a gap in the front of one of the flocked trees. Not sure about taking a risk on it. 

Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I'm dying to hear what everyone thinks of the TSV Trees -- I'm thinking Big, Beautiful and Expensive!! 

They are all of the above. But very tempted to get the 61/2 green tree. Still muling it over.

Respected Contributor

@wilma  I am so sorry to hear about your flooding.  Many homes flooded in our area this year.  We have so much stored in our basement I would be a basket case if we flooded.

We used to do real trees, usually 8-9 foot, but as we got older with no assistance, we switched to a prelite artificial tree.  

@Mominohio  I prefer white lights.  However DH has expressed a desire for colored lights, and I have started to feel sorry for him.  Having both options would be nice.  Last year we did ordered a multi function flip tree from Balsam Hill because of their reputation.  It was $1000+.  We ended up returning it.  It was beyond heavy and bulky and they recommended watching a video to "fluff" it to get it looking perfect which could take a couple of hours.  

I guess we'll just go out looking before we pull the trigger. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it's beautiful, but very expensive!  If it works consistently for many years, then I would say it's worth the price.  However, some reviews of their "Starry Night" trees from last year are pretty bad.  I would hate to have it quit working on me for this price.  I'm passing on it, but I really do think it's gorgeous -- kind of like a "dream" tree.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

I'm in the same boat @Allegheny

We have a tree that needs replaced. I have been waiting on a good color changing one, as we would love to have white lights sometimes, colored ones other times. 

This TSV is tempting, but I am concerned that the more bells and whistles these trees have, the shorter their life span will be as they will malfunction easily. 

I want all this cool technology, but I think I care about it being beautiful and lasting longer more than that.

That's my concern Alleheny too many functions and something is bound to go wrong.  It seems that it is trying to be all things for everybody. Fifteen or more years ago I purchased  a 4' "bubble gum" tree from QVC. It  has a dial on it that you can turn to change the setting for either steady, fade in and out etc. very simple.  Every year I take it out of the box and hope it still works. So far so good. I love that little tree. I am just a little concerned to spend this. amount, plus tax and S&H for something that may not work next year. 

Valued Contributor

I'm right there with you.  I need a new tree too.  This TSV tree is all about the lights and it's beautiful, but I think it's a bit overwhelming.  It looks like it belongs in Rockefeller Center (I only have a 1,000 square ft condo)!  If I had a large home with cathedral ceilings I'd consider it.  I love the ability to switch from white lights to multi. 

Also, when I see the closeups of the branches I'm not seeing the quality (I could be wrong, but it's hard to tell with all the lights).  The tree has to look good when the lights are off.  

In the end, I'd rather have fewer lights with lots of high quality tips.  It will be interesting to see the reviews of the quality and performance of this tree.

Good luck with your search!