Honored Contributor

Can anyone recommend a brand of sturdy hooks, green is best, but silver is okay as long as it is sturdy,  havn't seen any around here.  The hooks I bought after Christmas last year are so flimsy, not the way they used to be made, but then not much is anymore.

At times when I have bought ornaments, a green hook was on them, and they were so sturdy and the ornaments hung so well.

Trusted Contributor

Re: STURDY ORNAMENT HOOKS

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

Can anyone recommend a brand of sturdy hooks, green is best, but silver is okay as long as it is sturdy,  havn't seen any around here.  The hooks I bought after Christmas last year are so flimsy, not the way they used to be made, but then not much is anymore.

At times when I have bought ornaments, a green hook was on them, and they were so sturdy and the ornaments hung so well.

Wish I had a great suggestion for you but I haven’t come across any but the newer, more flimsy hooks myself. 

Last Christmas was our first with our new puppy, who right away appointed herself to be the official household vacuum cleaner. Knowing her track record for putting EVERYTHING in her mouth, we had to come up with a way to secure the ornaments on the tree. I had visions of those flimsy metal hooks falling to the floor and her running through the house with one in her mouth. 😳

I went to Michael’s and purchased rolls of the skinny ribbon that they sometimes put on sale 2 or 3 for a dollar. I strung all our ornaments on those and not one fell from the tree. If you get the right shade of green, it doesn’t stand out to much. 

Trusted Contributor

Gold Ornament Hooks

New

Gold Ornament Hooks
$2.99
  •  

I've bought these at Pier One and they're OK.  I'm looking around for another type of hook that I bought a few years ago - they are the best!

Honored Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

Gold Ornament Hooks

New

Gold Ornament Hooks
$2.99
  •  

I've bought these at Pier One and they're OK.  I'm looking around for another type of hook that I bought a few years ago - they are the best!

@Shogirl  Yes, the hooks from eons ago were the best.  can you believe I still have my Mother's hooks.  Now, all I see are the very thin sliver that are fine if one wants to wrap it around a tree branch, but for ornaments that I want on the tiips, these don't work, ornaments drop off.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought hooks in a couple of years now, but I recall the last ones I bought.....I couldn't believe how flimsy they've gotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Surely, someone can come up with something a bit more substantial, yet still affordable.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl I'm totally in your camp. I have many heavier ornaments, and they can't be safely held by the flimsy hooks available today - unless you pinch them tightly to the ornament and the tree. The ribbon idea is good, but tedious if you have tons of ornaments. I'll keep checking your post to see if anyone has found a foolproof hook.

Respected Contributor

They are so cheap now, especially the green ones.  I gave up and started using paper clips like I did when I was little.  I also use ribbons.  Martha Stewart makes them.  They are already knotted and easy to use.  Of course, it’s harder to place them on the inside branches. 

Honored Contributor

Re: STURDY ORNAMENT HOOKS

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl

crazy as it sounds ... I use "jumbo" paper clips to hold my heavier ornaments -- I bought them in Staples last year (green coated).   Many years ago I used to do holiday store displays (in my younger years) for Macy's ...I learned this trick from the designers.

If you cant find green years ago when I used to do a large tree I spray painted them.  

You can disguise them in the branches if you can't find green. 

Maybe it will work!  I'll see when I'm out and about if I find the "real" ornament hangers in heavier weight ...if so, I'll post for you!

218ADCC8-46C9-4944-8051-9952BDBC7C62.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@mousiegirl

crazy as it sounds ... I use "jumbo" paper clips to hold my heavier ornaments -- I bought them in Staples last year (green coated).   Many years ago I used to do holiday store displays (in my younger years) for Macy's ...I learned this trick from the designers.

If you cant find green years ago when I used to do a large tree I spray painted them.  

You can disguise them in the branches if you can't find green. 

Maybe it will work!  I'll see when I'm out and about if I find the "real" ornament hangers in heavier weight ...if so, I'll post for you!

218ADCC8-46C9-4944-8051-9952BDBC7C62.jpeg

@homedecor1  Thank you.  so you open the paper clips and then bend into a hook?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

actually just one side to as a modified "hook" --

I hope this makes sense !  Once you do a few you'll get the hang of it.  

I've hung those  Lenox ornaments using this method & they're heavy and branches don't bend.

7732E0D8-E893-465A-B21A-D3C9B6C2CD33.jpeg