Honored Contributor

SPRING TIME BLUE AND WHITE TABLE SETTING

[ Edited ]

I love blue and white ginger jars, but have restricted my collection as I cannot add more objects to this house-- instead, I must continue to declutter, like a good soldier!

But love to look.  Some of you might know "Danielle the Domestic Scientist",  and she has a super collection of chinoiserie that she puts to good use in her house.  In this video, she set up a couple of tablescapes with her beloved plates and jars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcUMtP5nzM

I don't see this as meant to be 'practical';  she has enough jars so you wouldn't be able to put giant vats of food on the table as well!   It's just one person's whimsical, pretty arrangement of her stunning collection.  I love that she mixes in white, and also a blue, white and green jar or two.

snapshot.jpg

She gives a nice little intro tutorial in this second link below, for anyone interested in blue and white.  She says her collection leans more to florals, and the modern geometrics, rather than the older, landscape scenes which resemble a ceramic version of toile, as you see in the jar on the right:

snapshot.jpg

Here's her discussion of the various types:

Edited to add:   Oops, I had forgotten in the link below she mentions in detail, and shows the pages of, a couple of retailers where she got some things--  not sure if that is the same as posting a direct link to those retailers, against Q rules.  But to be safe, I will delete it--  if you go to her site, you will find all her addicting decorating videos.  Sorry about that!

Eye candy for porcelain lovers!

Respected Contributor

Re: SPRING TIME BLUE AND WHITE TABLE SETTING

I like the blue and white combination and Asian influences, in particular, of some of these ceramic jars. 

How funny that this is the very first time I have noticed this forum.  My eyes must have skipped over the word Holiday as a forum choice for years.

Honored Contributor

That's me!  THANKS for posting.  I can see six pieces and a lamp from where I'm sitting.  

Honored Contributor

Me too, @Jersey Born --  I love the way even just a little touch of chinoiserie seems to "lift" everything else and make it more interesting.  It doesn't need to be more than a small touch, either....

Glad you found "Holiday"--  it's such a fun forum, and the posters are so consistently nice here!

Honored Contributor

Wow, lucky you, @Sooner .   I don't have a lamp, but admire them extravagantly.  Let's see, from where I sit, I can see just three ginger jars on my cabinet, but they are nice and chunky....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Have you ever gone to the Villeroy and Boch website?  They have a "shop section"--and I love the way they use the Old Luxembourg with the more modern blue and white!  

You have to go to "online shop" to see the pieces.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.16.06 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I bought some Ralph Lauren lamps from Homegoods and dragged another home from vacation at Biltmore's gift shop ON SALE with two big Vera Bradley ginger jars ON SALE!  LOL!!!

Needless to say hubby was THRILLED!  Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's pretty, @Sooner .  I've always liked Villeroy and Boch but haven't gone to their site.  Must do that.

Ha, hubbies don't always quite see the vital importance of such missions, @Sooner ...

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I love blue and white ginger jars, but have restricted my collection as I cannot add more objects to this house-- instead, I must continue to declutter, like a good soldier!

But love to look.  Some of you might know "Danielle the Domestic Scientist",  and she has a super collection of chinoiserie that she puts to good use in her house.  In this video, she set up a couple of tablescapes with her beloved plates and jars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcUMtP5nzM

I don't see this as meant to be 'practical';  she has enough jars so you wouldn't be able to put giant vats of food on the table as well!   It's just one person's whimsical, pretty arrangement of her stunning collection.  I love that she mixes in white, and also a blue, white and green jar or two.

snapshot.jpg

She gives a nice little intro tutorial in this second link below, for anyone interested in blue and white.  She says her collection leans more to florals, and the modern geometrics, rather than the older, landscape scenes which resemble a ceramic version of toile, as you see in the jar on the right:

snapshot.jpg

Here's her discussion of the various types:

Edited to add:   Oops, I had forgotten in the link below she mentions in detail a couple of retailers where she got some things--  not sure if that is the same as posting a direct link to those retailers, against Q rules.  But to be safe, I will delete it--  if you go to her site, you will find all her addicting decorating videos.  Sorry about that!

Eye candy for porcelain lovers!

@Oznell 

Shame on you! It's not bad enough that I already have several collections- now, you are making me want blue and white porcelain! I have a small vase that was my Mom's and a tea set.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, well you have a collection already right there, @Tennesseegal !   How wonderful to have a tea set, AND a blue and white vase precious memento of your mother's...

For YEARS,  all I had was a large, fat ginger jar, more vintage and traditional, acquired in a little Canadian shop, and one or two very little pieces.  Now I have that, a rooster pitcher, and two more chunky ginger jars.  One was from Oriental Furnishings, on Amazon:

51xjcvLVQXL._AC_.jpg

I thought it was vibrant and would go well with my first jar.

Then, in my local antiques shop, I found one almost identical to this online image below, playful and inexpensive, which attracted me because it has two birds, plus the usual lotuses and lily pads, etc.   It was $20, and she knocked it down to $18, so how could I refuse....

3a90ec9423b5c88539cf4560f8aa7e49.jpg 

It's more sort of funky, and the different designs of my pieces look cool together.  That's it, that's my tiny collection!

Blue and white has an impact beyond its numerical presence, so I imagine your vase and tea set (or elements of your tea set) , were they on display together, would be plenty effective!

Not being a purist, I like the idea of mixing different kinds of blue and white, like Blue Willow, etc.  My same antique store had the 'Blue Danube' "mayonnaise bowl" (bigger than a sugar bowl) near the ginger jar, that was mighty tempting.  I think it was $12 or $15.

s-l300.jpg   

Wouldn't it make a pretty, sort of baroque candy dish?  I resisted, sigh.