Honored Contributor

SPRING AND SUMMER ARE THE TIME FOR COLORFUL POTTERY

Caution-- not for minimalists, nor the faint-hearted.  This is long-winded!   Don't know if anyone will find this remotely interesting, but I was going through my tiny inventory recently, and decided to post--

My favorite collection is my small number of vintage American "art pottery", which I've found over the years thrifting, or at antique stores.  I've mentioned before that my favorite accessories are Art Deco or midcentury modern pieces.

I keep mine, when not on display, on a small bookshelf in basement, then haul a few pieces out at a time, as the whim strikes, to display in living room.  I have the most of them out in warm weather, just for the cheery colors. 

I can't take my own pictures and post, but here are the identical pieces which I've found in images online -- 

This blue guy from the Stangl pottery is my most Art Deco piece-- always reminds me of a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie, with the sleek 1930's lines--

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 1.13.45 PM.png

This swirly one is not old!  The old pottery Haeger, decided to revive some of their older pieces in the Eighties, so voila!   Some call these revival pieces "Golden Girls" because they are reminiscent of the ceramics that Dorothy and Rose might have had in Miami, and there's that 80's mauve-y pink!   (Coming back in style, believe it or not.)    

m_6281bbd9cb692cc1bc274644.jpeg

Nice for spring, is this soft green tulip-shaped vase by Fredericksburg Pottery--  very deco!

il_1588xN.4678016873_7hmt.jpg

OK, you say, where's the midcentury modern part of the collection?   This signed di Carlo vase to me starts to look more "midcentury" than some of the others.  Problem is, mine is sky blue, not peachy pink like this image of it I found online.  Just imagine it's blue.... 

s-l1600.jpg

This is what is called a ceramic "basket" by Weller pottery.  It's more of a generic, somewhat frilly, 1940's look to me, but I was attracted by the round shape, stem handle, and blue color--

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 10.55.07 AM.png

Now you have to imagine that this Artistic Potteries of California (which only operated for a brief period in the Forties) fan vase is mustard yellow, not pink!   Found it online in pink only. 

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 11.04.40 AM.png

.....but just think of it as closer to the color of this little pot.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 1.39.10 PM.png

I couldn't find online an image of my small, forest green McCoy planter, which is a shame.  It has an unusual angled rim.  It's perfect for holding a smallish flameless candle.  This pot below is somewhat similar, but lacks the fun slanted rim and rich, mottled forest green color.   But you can see from how simple and unadorned it is, that it is veering more 'midcentury' in style...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

The above are the survivors of my "purges" over the years--I'm just determined NOT to have big collections of anything, and I continue to de-clutter.   But, these are enough pieces to mix with some of my more modern things, to satisfy my need to frequently change things up around here.  Put them in clusters of 3, or even just one-- it depends.

Some non- art pottery pieces that I can mix in, include this nubbly slate blue tealight holder from Big Lots.  Doesn't it look midcentury? 

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 12.39.26 PM.png

And a few other inexpensive Big Lots finds over the years can also be mixed in to beef up the midcentury look, like this ombre vase:

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 10.53.43 AM.png

The colors do lean heavily blue.  I used to have more green, which got given away, for one reason or another.  But I wouldn't mind another green piece or two, and then no more.  This is plenty to play with, move around, and "style" different ways!

Just found out that the newer "bubble" candles at Walmart look especially good mixed in with vintage pottery:

05be083b-b47d-490d-ab4e-356c7685b0ee.804c12f65d5bc102b1db59d458be6b54.jpeg

I said in another post, the candles are just like candy, love the yummy colors and shapes.

For the collectors here--  do you have any favorite collections you have hung onto over the years?   If you've purged other things, why have you hung onto the "favored" pieces.  Do you display non-stop, or do you rotate in or out?

Respected Contributor

Re: SPRING AND SUMMER ARE THE TIME FOR COLORFUL POTTERY

I do not collect anything....but I absolutely love your pieces, especially the first two

Trusted Contributor

I really like the Fredricksburg and Weller pieces.  The colors and designs are lovely!  

Honored Contributor

This is so neat. I recognized the green vase as one my mother had. All those colors make me think of spring and summer. Your home must be beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I love your collection. 

I don't collect anything special except for Fiesta and have some retired pieces I've picked up through the years.

Your pieces could fit in with my collection.

🙂

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Oznell !  Those pieces are beautiful.  I have three I cherish from my paternal grandmother and my mom.  Not bright colors but cherished nonetheless.

IMG_0060.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

I think the first is carved granite but not sure. It's my favorite.  The second is Rookwood.  The third is from Colorado Springs, acquired on a trip by my parents when young and married and before I came along.

Honored Contributor

Needed to answer your questions @Oznell. Keep in mind that I'm the poster with no creative talents😢. I do have glassware and serving pieces that belonged to my mother. The majority are stored in a large china cabinet and I alternate them a few times a year. Not to bore you, but here are some examples.

• All clear crystal (my favorite is a big pitcher with 8 glasses, perfect for lemonade)
  • Pastel glass (of this group, I love an aperitif set of tiny colored glasses in a dainty bamboo carrier)
  • Red and navy blue bowls/pitchers (when I put them out in summer, I include a white cake plate and fruit bowl). I think the white pieces are called milk glass but I'm not sure.
  • For fall, it's amber and avocado bowls (I add decorative ceramic pumpkins and Slatkin fall scented candles to the shelves).
  • At Christmas, I love displaying deep green glassware and ruby colored glasses (my mom said the local cheese factory sold cottage cheese in them during the 40's & 50's)

Not sure if anyone is reading this, but does anyone remember Hazel Atlas? I have a set of this brightly colored dinnerware that I often display (my pieces are red, mustard, turquoise and gray).

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell, I also forgot to answer your question.  Mine are on display 24/7 in my grandfather curio clock.

IMG_0055.jpeg

please forgive the plastic gates to the left.  Our pup loves to get into the closet it guards to tear up the paper products we store there.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

My mom started me collecting glass and pottery items and I enjoy going to auctions, or flea markets, etc., to see what I can find - or - just "look."

I like this bowl from Romy & Clare, called "Anticipating Spring"

Anticipating Spring! — Romy & Clare

Anticipating Spring! — Romy & Clare

Trusted Contributor

Forgot a couple of items I treasure...acquired when we lived in Front Royal, VA.  There are a number of towns/artist hamlets with lovely pieces.  The first lives on my nightstand holding the rosary from my mom's funeral and the other is Rowe Pottery, which my SIL collected. It comes out when we have guests.

IMG_0061.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg