Contributor

Re: Running A Toy Train At Christmas ?

Ohh Plasticville!  What a great memory!  My father bought me a train (more than likely for him) over 65 years ago and set up the village on our ping pong table.  I used the train for years under the tree as an adult but now it needs repair and all of those folks who could do that are gone I fear. Try eBay or google train collectors you may find something.  There are train enthusiasts everywhere although their trains aren’t from the 50’s. Our daughter loved the train, even as a teenager.  Still have it in the original boxes and the original box that came from the department store it was ordered from.  Thanks, love the memory!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy  For quite a few years, we ran a Santa train, and one year at a Christmas party I hosted, it was running under the dining room table which was used for buffet style serving, and the kids crawled under there and had a ball.

DH has an entire room with tracks on the walls, etc., etc., of Lionel model trains, anything you can think of he has.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Snowpuppy  For quite a few years, we ran a Santa train, and one year at a Christmas party I hosted, it was running under the dining room table which was used for buffet style serving, and the kids crawled under there and had a ball.

DH has an entire room with tracks on the walls, etc., etc., of Lionel model trains, anything you can think of he has.

@mousiegirl  Sounds like fun.

Frequent Contributor

The train under a tree is special, and the look is nastalgic!  We had trains that my father added to over time, and I still remember the smell of the smoke from the train engine!  He built a table and attached the tracks,  I loved watching the lights at the cross arms and in all the small buildings!   In 1958 the trains were “lost” by the moving company when my family moved from Philadelphia to Florida when Dad transferred from working at the Philadelphia Inquirer to the Florida Times Union.  I heard my mother complain for several years at Christmas decorating time saying, “$500 worth of trains just disappeared.”   I suppose $500 was a lot of money back then.  You know, I suppose nothing will last forever but the memories are wonderful. 😊

Honored Contributor

Awww, that sounds like a good idea.  Go for it!

At first I thought you meant you wanted to be the *conductor* on one of those kiddie trains at the mall.  lol.

We used to have the train set under the tree at Christmas.  It had the serious heavy locomotive and cars and caboose.  Big clunky metal peices.  Don't know the make of it.

My dad would get it up and running on a platform on the  pool table before he set it up under the tree.  The smell of WD-40---ahh the memories!

It had little buildings and a guy who came out a door at the station with a lantern in his hand.  Old school lights in the buildings.

What fun it was to play with that train for hours.  Made Christmas even more special.