Honored Contributor

Re: Review of Valerie's Stacking Pumpkins ~ ARGHH!

I feel there has been a real decline in the quality of VPH items over the years. It's become so obvious to me even in the presentations. I see Valerie turn or move a piece, as she watches the monitor and sees the defects are being shot and shown on air. 

And the only way, as a customer, to combat it, is to return things that aren't right. 

The decor QVC is selling is mostly cheap, made in China stuff. And if I pay cheap prices for it (like Hobby Lobby with their 50% off even before the season starts) I can live with it. But the higher prices for Q merchandise, plus the full shipping charge for each and every piece, makes me expect it to be a certain level of quality. If it isn't, it goes back. 

Regular Contributor

Yikes...$68 for foam.  That's not right that you were misled to believe it was resin or resin/composite.  I  hope you find a similar piece as suggested in Big Lots or elsewhere.  Happy Hunting!

I also am disappointed with the quality of items lately and have generally reserved my purchases to the "as is" section to get a better price and to be sure of the purchase after reading some reviews.  I did break down and get 5 of the Kaleidoscope trees as the TSV and was lucky to receive all 5 in good shape.

You can tell the quality is lacking as more and more items show up in the "as is" section. It used to be a couple of hundred items in the home section, not 500.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl, the defective returns of Valerie's products seem to be becoming more commonplace. Makes me sad to see the quality of her products slipping because I think she has wonderful decorating concepts. 

@Mominohio, I agree with everything you say. The problem with shopping online is you can't see the item in person, you can't judge the overall quality or inspect it for defects. You don't have the option of making an informed decision to either take it home or set it back on the shelf and walk away. If if doesn't work out, you can't just hop in the car and return it to the store for free. In that case, there needs to be an assurance that you are buying a quality product that, when you get it home, is what you expected from seeing pictures or video presentation. You really do need to be able to "shop with confidence" as they say at the Q.

It really needs to be right the first time, if it happens repeatedly, people will begin to lose confidence in the products and hesitate to purchase. QVC does stand behind their products, and I've only gotten burned a couple of times. It's the grey areas that worry me and give me pause about hitting that submit button, those times when something is not broken or damaged, but the quality of the product is subpar, the color is off, it doesn't fit, etc. Since a customer can't inspect it or try it on and make that judgement call in person and have the option to walk away without purchasing, there needs to be a 100% assurance of satisfaction guaranteed, without being penalized with hefty return fees. I can deal with being charged a reasonable shipping fee to receive a product, but really dislike the thought of being penalized with return fees for a product that doesn't meet expectations. Amazon does a fantastic job in this area. 

Maybe that's just me, maybe just a result of my having spent over 25 years in brick and mortar retail, where keeping the customer satified is EVERYTHING. If the customer isn't happy, no one is happy. Just ask JC Penney. 

*stepping off my soapbox now*

Super Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

Okay, I broke down and ordered H214975, the stacking pumpkins with leaves in orange.  The first thing I noticed is how lightweight it is.  Someone asked (under the listing) what it is made of and the reply was resin (someone replied stating they asked Valerie and this is what they were told).  Nope, not resin ~ foam.  I can live with that.  What I can't live with is the hole in the top of the top pumpkin and the light orange seam around the largest pumpkin at the bottom.  The bottom pumpkin is a beautiful medium orange color but the light orange seam is way too distracting.  My eyes kept going to that flaw.  Really disappointing.

Needless to say, this is going back tomorrow morning.  I think it's time for me to use what I have and make do.  These things aren't exactly cheap ~ yes, I agreed to pay what they are asking but I expect a nice item to be sent to me.  

Oh, well.  I just wanted to share ~ thanks for letting me vent!  :-)

@Julie928 ~~ Her items aren't cheap, but a lot are cheaply made.

Disappointing😕

SAD TO SAY:  THE REALITY IS,  CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP CHINA JUNK!!!.. 

Super Contributor

@Maltichonmom17: I 've written to Qvc many times complaing about how the hosts, and at times even the vendors DO NOT describe the item being presented accurately.. For example, they keep telling me what I can do with it; or how to wear it etc.. I need specifications, give me a color comparison etc.. Describe the product more along with more detail; like type of fabric.. After all they are our eyes, and our hands depending on what product they are showing at that time.. For clothes and shoes I'm definitely a Mall gal..

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@mousiegirl, the defective returns of Valerie's products seem to be becoming more commonplace. Makes me sad to see the quality of her products slipping because I think she has wonderful decorating concepts. 

@Mominohio, I agree with everything you say. The problem with shopping online is you can't see the item in person, you can't judge the overall quality or inspect it for defects. You don't have the option of making an informed decision to either take it home or set it back on the shelf and walk away. If if doesn't work out, you can't just hop in the car and return it to the store for free. In that case, there needs to be an assurance that you are buying a quality product that, when you get it home, is what you expected from seeing pictures or video presentation. You really do need to be able to "shop with confidence" as they say at the Q.

It really needs to be right the first time, if it happens repeatedly, people will begin to lose confidence in the products and hesitate to purchase. QVC does stand behind their products, and I've only gotten burned a couple of times. It's the grey areas that worry me and give me pause about hitting that submit button, those times when something is not broken or damaged, but the quality of the product is subpar, the color is off, it doesn't fit, etc. Since a customer can't inspect it or try it on and make that judgement call in person and have the option to walk away without purchasing, there needs to be a 100% assurance of satisfaction guaranteed, without being penalized with hefty return fees. I can deal with being charged a reasonable shipping fee to receive a product, but really dislike the thought of being penalized with return fees for a product that doesn't meet expectations. Amazon does a fantastic job in this area. 

Maybe that's just me, maybe just a result of my having spent over 25 years in brick and mortar retail, where keeping the customer satified is EVERYTHING. If the customer isn't happy, no one is happy. Just ask JC Penney. 

@Maltichonmom17

Best articulation of the issue I've ever read! Summed up perfectly and accurately! And I agree!

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

It really needs to be right the first time, if it happens repeatedly, people will begin to lose confidence in the products and hesitate to purchase. QVC does stand behind their products, and I've only gotten burned a couple of times. It's the grey areas that worry me and give me pause about hitting that submit button, when something is not broken or damaged, but the quality of the product is subpar, the color is off, it doesn't fit, etc. Since a customer can't inspect it or try it on and make that judgement call in person and have the option to walk away without purchasing, there needs to be a 100% assurance of satisfaction guaranteed without being penalized with hefty return fees. I can deal with being charged a reasonable shipping fee to receive a product, but really dislike the thought of being penalized with return fees for a product that doesn't meet expectations. Amazon does a fantastic job in this area. 

@Maltichonmom17  The items I returned were defective due to production, and Q does not open every box and inspect items before sending out to customers, so unfortunately for us, we can receive defective or damaged items.

I have tons of beautiful items I have bought through the years from Valerie, actually one of the items I returned was not Valerie's, and I think all Valerie can do and someone from Q who works with her, is to see samples of the items after production, then not again en masse.

If it's something I really like, I will keep asking for a replacement until I get a good one, or try three times, then give up, but this happens rarely, only several times through the years.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl, my comments were in no way meant as an insult to or reflection of Valerie or QVC for that matter. If you perceived it that way, please accept my apologies.

I did mention that  the Q stands behind their products and most of the time I am fully satisfied with my purchases. I have been a fan of Valerie and her product line for many years and I also have many beautiful items from her line and hope to continue to purchase from her brand in the future. 

My returns were also all production problems that surely originated at the factory.  I know that the Q does not and cannot open every box and honestly shouldn't have to. 

I was simply trying to articulate my frustration with the bigger issues of declining quality, quality control and resulting return fees. 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@mousiegirl, my comments were in no way meant as an insult to or reflection of Valerie or QVC for that matter. If you perceived it that way, please accept my apologies.

I did mention that  the Q stands behind their products and most of the time I am fully satisfied with my purchases. I have been a fan of Valerie and her product line for many years and I also have many beautiful items from her line and hope to continue to purchase from her brand in the future. 

My returns were also all production problems that surely originated at the factory.  I know that the Q does not and cannot open every box and honestly shouldn't have to. 

I was simply trying to articulate my frustration with the bigger issues of declining quality, quality control and resulting return fees. 

@Maltichonmom17  I didn't think you were disparaging Valerie's items, just stating that though there are defects and damage, I have some very nice items through the years.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember 3 years ago when she first presented the scenes under a cloche.....there were so many complaints of bubbles in the glass....