Esteemed Contributor

Remember David Venable's Nostalgic Christmas Items?

Several years ago, David Venable presented nostalgic Christmas items styled after the Christmas items he remembered as a child. I bought some great 50's and 60's style decorations, like the N-O-E-L ceramic candle holders. Do you remember those presentations, and don't you wish he would do it again?

Respected Contributor

Re: Remember David Venable's Nostalgic Christmas Items?

I remember David's nostalgic items, at least some of them.  He worked with Christopher Radko on them didn't he?

I don't remember David having NOEL candle holders though, doesn't mean he didn't.  I do know that Carolyn Gracie has done nostalgic Christmas pieces for the past year or two and I remember her have a multi-piece NOEL candle holder set.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Several years ago, David Venable presented nostalgic Christmas items styled after the Christmas items he remembered as a child. I bought some great 50's and 60's style decorations, like the N-O-E-L ceramic candle holders. Do you remember those presentations, and don't you wish he would do it again?

Yes @PA Mom-mom, I do well remember those shows.

I think they might have been called "Merry Memories with David" or something like that.

I really enjoyed them and thought he would be able to continue with that type of merchandise for several years. But I'm guessing it didn't go over well, because they haven't brought it back.

I asked last year that they consider doing it again, because retro Christmas decor is really big with especially people in their 20's and 30's. But I guess they aren't hearing us!

Honored Contributor

Oh, and I do remember the NOEL, as I have the original one that my grandmother had. I love to use it every year.

Trusted Contributor

I remember David's shows. In fact, I have the NOEL candleholders!

I wish they would do something like that again.

The Q used to sell a lot of animated Christmas figures. My mom bought a Santa with a candleholder who moves back and forth. There is a switch on it that plays music.

I have it now and put it out every year!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes @Mominohio I think you are right about the title. That sounds right. I guess it's really hard to find suppliers to do specialty items like that. I was at a David Venable book signing last year, and I totally forgot to ask David about it. If any vendor could make tinsel the way it used to be, without it being a health hazard or environmentally unsound, I would think it would be QVC.

Trusted Contributor

I take my noel decoration out every year! I dont use them as candle holders, I tuck them into spots on my mantle etc.  I have to say its turned into one of my favorites. 

Esteemed Contributor

I get the NOEL candleholders that my mother passed down to me out every yea.. That set and a large white ceramic tree that has gold pin lights in the tips that my aunt made and gave my mother in 1964 occupy prime places in my home during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

There are a host of things that could be reproduced from that era.

Radko already does the Shiny Brite ornaments, then they could reproduce blow mold light up plastic figures (those old ones cost a fortune), Santa head mugs with pitchers to match, ceramic trees (those are really hot again), the little candles that look like choir boys and angels, those felt elves that people put on trees and on packages, bottle brush trees, paper houses and churches (they have a name, but I can't think of them right now), and probably a lot of other things. 

Esteemed Contributor

Shiny Brite! Yes!