Valued Contributor

Re: Recreating A Tinsel Tree Today

One word: Cats!

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

It will be Beautiful.  I have done a few ONLY icicles and white lights trees over the years and everyone commented on them.  Try to get the 3 inch ones for the higher branches. Different sizes and finishes add to the look.  White ornaments  work very well. 

The Old Fashioned ornaments go very well with the icicles.  you'll get lots of nostalgic smiles!

The icicles go very well when you have cats that would eat the tinsel. (which is the reason I began collecting them!)  I've had a few knocked off the tree but no eating of them. 

Best of luck with your Tree!  Have fun decorating!

@candys mine Thanks for the advice. So far I have bought several sizes, including the longer ones. I do have many old fashioned ornaments, so I think it will be pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

One word: Cats!

@Jasmine19 Hahahaha!

Super Contributor

@PA Mom-mom

I sounds like it'll be a beautiful tree.....you'll have to post a pic Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl

Your tree sounds like it's coming along....can't wait to see the finished product. I'm feeling a little nostalgic myself this year, but I have too much new stuff to use......a lot of it thanks to you and the other Holiday thread enablers LOL Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

@PA Mom-mom your post made me smile!  My mom always insisted on a real tree.  When I was little my job was to separte the tinsle into individual strands and string them around the bottom of the tree (wasn't tall enough to reach the top).  When the tree came down, my job was to pick off all the tinsel and put it back in the box to be used again.  It was fun minus the finger sticks from the needles!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  So pretty......brings back memories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qshpr89 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom your post made me smile!  My mom always insisted on a real tree.  When I was little my job was to separte the tinsle into individual strands and string them around the bottom of the tree (wasn't tall enough to reach the top).  When the tree came down, my job was to pick off all the tinsel and put it back in the box to be used again.  It was fun minus the finger sticks from the needles!

@qshpr89  My Mother did the same, placed one icicle at a time, and saved them, I still have them.  I used to put many icicles on the tips as opposed to her one.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@qshpr89 wrote:

@qshpr89  My Mother did the same, placed one icicle at a time, and saved them, I stil have them.  I used to put many icicles on the tips as opposed to her one.

@qshpr89 and @mousiegirl. I did the same thing. I would hang one strand, stand back, and then hang another. No one was allowed to rush by the tree. I did save them from year to year, but they seemed to get wrinkled. The best trees for tinsel were the balsams. Come to think of it, they were the best for ornaments and fragrance too. But, not everyone liked the sparseness.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@qshpr89 wrote:

@qshpr89  My Mother did the same, placed one icicle at a time, and saved them, I stil have them.  I used to put many icicles on the tips as opposed to her one.

@qshpr89 and @mousiegirl. I did the same thing. I would hang one strand, stand back, and then hang another. No one was allowed to rush by the tree. I did save them from year to year, but they seemed to get wrinkled. The best trees for tinsel were the balsams. Come to think of it, they were the best for ornaments and fragrance too. But, not everyone liked the sparseness.

@PA Mom-mom  We always had fresh green for the living room, but the price now is near $300, so I said forget this, and bought one after Christmas on sale.  It has better space between the branches than the real, though the real was much fuller.  I took the white lights off of this tree as I wanted the old fashioned color as we always use, and they look nice. 

I hope DD is not disappointed, but the ornaments are in a similar vein as I bought copies of vintage ornaments for it, of course much shiner than the real, but at least she will see the tree I grew up with, though my Mother changed colors, but by the time I was a teenager, I wanted green, and she agreed.  When I think of the wonderful shape of the trees then, not to mention fragrance, I could cry, and they didn't cost an arm and a leg either.

Frequent Contributor

I know how you feel. After my DH developed Dementia last year I realized that I would have to get an artifical tree. I agonized over it because I have always had a fresh tree. Sometimes, we would just stop by the side of the road and chop it down. So much fun. We started spotting one way before Christmas and then right after Thanksgiving, we'd get into Buck's truck and off we'd go. Buck was the man who worked for my parents....a member of the family, IMO. He could chop down that tree, throw it into the truck and have us all back home withint half an hour!! I didn't know until much later that my Dad had already called the man who owned  the property and asked him about it. I loved my Dad!!! So when I  had to go for an artifical tree it brought back a lot of good memories, but I'm sill sad about it.  I miss a lot of things that can't be brought back and I have a lot of good thoughts about my youth, but it's at times like this that the tears flood......Maybe I should get a small live tree in additiion to the artifical tree!!! What do y'all think???