Esteemed Contributor

Recreating A Tinsel Tree Today

Thanks to @Mousegirl, I've started to thinking about recreating a traditional tinsel decorated tree. So, I'm going to do a Kurt Adler icicle tree. I bought a lot of them!

What do you think?

Kurt Adler Tree.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Recreating A Tinsel Tree Today

[ Edited ]

Ive been thinking about doing a vintage tree also...with tinsel and the old fashioned glass bulbs.

However,when I picture it with my artificial tree , it just doesn’t have the same effect as the fresh cut tree. 

I dont want to mess with a fresh cut tree, so Maybe I 

wont go through with it after all .

For me, I think the way that the tinsel hung on the branches that weren’t so perfectly symmetrical, and of course the fragrance.... *sigh *

@PA Mom-mom I love the ice cycles, happy decorating what ever you decide to do h

Esteemed Contributor

@Azcowgirl I have an artificial tree, but I think that's why the icicles will work better than tinsel. I already have some white icicles that look good, so I know the clear will work.

Esteemed Contributor

I put the plastic, glittered icicles all over my tree last year.  Loved the look.  I use burgandy and gold for decorations.

Trusted Contributor

For about the past 5 years, I've had a traditional tinsel and glass ball tree at Christmas. I use the tinsel and ball ornaments on a live cut tree. 

About a third of the ornaments are survivors of my childhood (I'm 71 and I remember these balls as far back as age 5 or so.  How they survived breakage is a miracle.  They break so easily).  I augment the old ones with newer ones that look old.

I found big lights like the ones we had back in the fifties, but I don't like the colors much or the way they look when lit, so I went back to the small multi-colored lights.

The tricky part is finding that tinsel.   It isn't everywhere, but when I find it, I buy up all I can.  It's miserable thin stuff, though, and hard to hang nicely.  It's so different from the tinsel of yesteryear that had some weight to it, and could be hung neatly.

It's nice to have a tree like this to bring back my childhood memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

For about the past 5 years, I've had a traditional tinsel and glass ball tree at Christmas. I use the tinsel and ball ornaments on a live cut tree. 

About a third of the ornaments are survivors of my childhood (I'm 71 and I remember these balls as far back as age 5 or so.  How they survived breakage is a miracle.  They break so easily).  I augment the old ones with newer ones that look old.

I found big lights like the ones we had back in the fifties, but I don't like the colors much or the way they look when lit, so I went back to the small multi-colored lights.

The tricky part is finding that tinsel.   It isn't everywhere, but when I find it, I buy up all I can.  It's miserable thin stuff, though, and hard to hang nicely.  It's so different from the tinsel of yesteryear that had some weight to it, and could be hung neatly.

It's nice to have a tree like this to bring back my childhood memories.

Your tree sounds lovely! I have not found tinsel similar to that of my childhood. That's why I've gone to the glass icicles. Not the same, but a similar look

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Sounds like fun. It’s your tree and should please you. Sometimes it takes a bit of rearranging or adding or subtracting to get the look you want. 

Trusted Contributor

Such a great idea.  So gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Azcowgirl I have an artificial tree, but I think that's why the icicles will work better than tinsel. I already have some white icicles that look good, so I know the clear will work.

@PA Mom-mom  The tree that will be vintage is a green faux tree, and I have decorated 1/4 of it as no one uses the living room until Christmas, and am still debating tinsel icicles, but I have been thinking that it should have them to look like the trees I grew up with.

No cat here now so tinsel are okay.  I have my Mother's, and boxes from decades ago which I never used.

Respected Contributor

It will be Beautiful.  I have done a few ONLY icicles and white lights trees over the years and everyone commented on them.  Try to get the 3 inch ones for the higher branches. Different sizes and finishes add to the look.  White ornaments  work very well. 

The Old Fashioned ornaments go very well with the icicles.  you'll get lots of nostalgic smiles!

The icicles go very well when you have cats that would eat the tinsel. (which is the reason I began collecting them!)  I've had a few knocked off the tree but no eating of them. 

Best of luck with your Tree!  Have fun decorating!